andrey

dipstick height on 1972 02?

15 posts / 710 viewsLast Reply

This is driving me crazy: our '72 oil dipstick is two pieces joined by a hose with clamps. This apparently is either a common fix or was stock (!) because I've seen it on a half dozen cars now. I have no idea where the oil level should be because I don't know how much hose (if any) is needed. Can someone please advise as to the correct height, block to dip stick, that we should have? If you have a '72 or so motor and don't have this hose thing, could you measure yours for me? Thanks!

Yep, I just did that and it looks like I need quite a section of hose. I put the amount of oil specified in the manual (comes out to 4.25qt or so) but I just don't trust it so I want to figure this out by talking to other people : ) Is this hose thing really stock or did someone break the dipstick off and "fix" it like this?

Nice! Ok, please tell me the height I should have and I'll go adjust mine right now. Maybe I should order a 11431258352 for $16 instead though ; )

Is the dipstick the right one? Because the two sections of tube should butt and the hose just acts as a seal. If you dipstick is longer than 16-7/8" from the tip to the rubber stop shoulder give it to someone with a 320i because that is where it probably came from. Or I may be wrong in that the tube is shorter on the 320i to accommodate the different oil pan. In any event, I do know the dipstick/tubes are not interchangeable between the two cars.

Ah! If I do that then it definitely reads too high. I wonder if it is an E21 dipstick or something like that then.

If I recall correctly, the measurement from the 'base' of the dipstick tube (where it intersects with the block) to the top of the tube is 9.5"... that will get you close, but please double-check with others, the blue book, etc. -KB

Because the two sections of tube should butt and the hose just acts as a seal.

That's what I've always thought, too...

t

Why did they do this? Why not a normal tube like on every other BMW?

Because... ummm... they wanted to?

The very early cars had a 1- piece that was held in place by luck.

That didn't work very well- they did leak.

So the 'improved' version had a sleeve pressed into the block

and then the dipstick tube attached to that.

I guess it was so you could get the intake off without

pulling or damaging the tube- the E30 version is one piece, and it's

a royal pain in the butt.

I dunno, though. o- rings are pretty effective...

t

Just measured on my '73 and it looked to be 8.25 from the block to the top lip of the tube with the dipstick out.

I did this repair a few months back on my 75. Before I took the old stuff off, I made sure the oil was full and eyeballed it. No its not a technical answer, but as long as you're in the ballpark, you'll be fine. You can always fill then drain and measure the amount that came out.

I did this repair a few months back on my 75. Before I took the old stuff off, I made sure the oil was full and eyeballed it. No its not a technical answer, but as long as you're in the ballpark, you'll be fine. You can always fill then drain and measure the amount that came out.