thehackmechanic

Anyone install a hurricane evaporator/heat assembly yet?

11 posts / 1827 viewsLast Reply

Pursuant to this thread:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,374529/highlight,/sid,8c55787356020da6d57d5fa1dc9f8292/

Has anyone actually ordered and test-fit the Hurricane 2000 evaporator / heater core assembly yet? I've pulled the Behr evap assembly out of my tii to rejuvenate it and replace the expansion valve, remembered that the heater box is leaking an incredible amount of outside air and thus needs to be rebuilt, and remembered this thread.

I now get why the posters had zero'd in on the 2000 -- it's the one where both the heat and a/c pipes exit on the right side, meaning that the big square hole for the heater box could simply be sealed up, hoses adapted to plumb the heater lines out where they currently go, and the a/c lines run under the glovebox where THEY normally go.

If this would:

--Fit under the dash

--Allow the cables to be hooked up to the stock cable levers in the dash

--Fit between the two halfs of a Behr console

--Allow the front louvers of the Behr evap assembly to be used, giving it a stock look and feel

it would be the cat's ass.

I have not, but will. When my begins to require frequent maintenance I will add this and delete the old.

no, but i'm mocking up a vintage air unit in my 69.

yes, it will fit nicely and looks better built than the others. tradeoff looks to be that the glovebox will need modified.

will update soon...

I spoke with Old Air Products who sells the Hurricane. I remembered that, several years back, their web site used to advertise a "mockup box" (just the plastic housing) so you could test-fit before dropping $495 on the full-up unit. The guy said that they still sell them -- it's $78, and if you decide to buy real thing, you send them back the mock-up box, they stuff it with components, send it back to you, and credit you the $78. Pretty tempting. Inquiring minds want to know...

problem i'm having with mocking mine up is the trans tunnel is really steep and tall right at the firewall - this doesn't leave much room to mount a box on the firewall. so, i'm having to move it out about 3 inches to compensate. this in turn eats into glove box space, so i'll likely mod the glove box to be smaller so i can still have one.

vintage air has mock up boxes as well, and that is what i'm using right now. i'll take pics when i'm farther into it. but it will work - plus it will have heat, air, and defrost as well.

These new-generation units combine both the heater core and evaporator core into a single assembly, and thus would replace both the 2002's stock heater box and a stand-alone evaporator assembly.

The 2002's heater box is 12 3/4" wide. The Behr evap assembly that was in my tii is 10 3/4" wide. Measuring the height of either of them is misleading because the transmission tunnel is at an angle. But at least I can estimate whether things will fit in the width direction.

I just downloaded the Vintage Air catalog. The smallest heat/ac unit they sell is the Short Pac system, which is 16" wide and 12" high. Cynical says his Vintage Air box hits the glovebox (too wide) and can't be fit against the firewall without pulling it out 3" (too tall). From a width standpoint, that makes sense; 16" is wider than 12 3/4".

The Old Air Products Hurricane 2000 looks like it's 11.5" wide -- narrower than the 12 3/4" width of the 2002's heater box, so it should clear the glove box.

Height? No way to know for sure without the mockup box, which I think, now that I know it passes the width test, am increasingly likely to do.

I pulled my heater box out last night, but before I tear into rebuilding it, I took the plunge and ordered the $72.50 mock-up box for the Hurricane. To clarify a few things from the post above:

--Old Air Products says there is one mock-up box that covers the Hurricane 1000, 2000, and 3000, with labels on the sides showing where the pipes protrude for each model. The physical enclosure, they tell me, is the same for all three.

--If you want to buy the Hurricane, you return the mock-up box and they credit you the $72.50 and send you a fully-populated one; they don't stuff the one you send back (my error).

I know a number of you, like me, are considering this same adaptation. I'm about to do some traveling for work. If the mock-up box arrives before I leave, I will take a few quick photos, give a gross yay/nay, and post it here.

I have mine sitting in the box still in my garage. My son has a 76 and his heater motor is dead. So when I get a chance I am puling my rebuilt heater box and fan and putting it in his car, then installing the new system in my car. I test fitted the Hurricane and it fit well within the confines of my Clardy console. I also took the louvers out of my clardy and cut a piece of sheet alumunum to cover where they were in the console. Then I cut out the aluminum and installed the 2 rectangual louvers that I ordered with my Hurricane system...see link attached to post. I used the OldAire vents because they have the round fittings on back to connect the air supply hoses from the evap

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,374615/highlight,/

I have not done anymore since this post due to work. But will be installing the rest soon

The mock-up box arrived, and it's tight. As you can see from the photos, the vents stick up proud from the top of the box. It's just a little too tall to sit it on the transmission hump and slide it straight back. So you have to try to slide it in from the right side, and the bracket that holds one of the under-dash panels (pointed to by my finger) is in the way. I'm afraid to muscle and scratch up the mock-up box too badly, as I may not be able to return it. I think the bracket may have to be cut, or at least bent.

Nbristow01 and Koblentz, have you gotten this far?

I'm about to travel for work, so it'll be a month before I get back to this.

post-17424-13667665465482_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667665466593_thumb.jpg

post-17424-1366766546769_thumb.jpg

post-17424-13667665468942_thumb.jpg

Rob - any updates? contemplating the same unit and a winter project

thanks

Jeff

Hey, Jeff, I was away for five weeks for work, just getting back to car stuff.

I'm edging toward simply rebuilding my old heater box and putting it back in. I've already rebuilt my old evap assembly.

If someone else goes first, takes one for the team, and posts detailed instructions on:

--hooking the Hurricane's cables up to the '02's stock sliders

--using an original console that fits around the Hurricane (I suspect only the Clardy will, but I haven't sized it)

I might about-face.

I did spend the money on the mockup, so if anyone else wants to borrow it, I'll be glad to loan it out.

--Rob