Hutton

REDLIGHT vs. YELLOWLIGHT

8 posts / 850 viewsLast Reply

Red center round taillights vs. Yellow center.

I know that the 1600's had the red centers but when is it period correct to have them on a 02 ?

Change to orange centers was sometime in 1970. 2002's in 68 and 69 had red centers. But keep in mind that, back in the day, a car was titled as the year it was sold, rather than the year in which it was built. So, for example, in 1970 I bought a 2002 (that was titled as a 1970), but Andreas Hart told me that it was actually built in early summer of 1969 ; that car had tail lights with red centers. Hope this helps...

Yep..that's about right. Bought a 68 US car.

Did the color change for euro cars also ?

my Feb 69 production car was delivered with a stuck brake light switch which partially melted the rear lenses. When I discovered the damage in Sept '69 the dealer was only able to get amber center lenses through their parts dept; it wasn't until 2000 that I was able to find a set of red center lenses (thanks to Carl Nelson) to put Wolfgang back to original.

cheers

mike

Thanks Guys!

I think I'll keep the extra reds as spares.

I'll keep the ambers on the 71ti clone.

Bump.

Is the date break the same for Euro cars? Is there an official start date for them?

fitted to US spec cars because some states still had requirements for red turn signals in the rear--I think Federal regulations overrode state regs sometime around 1970 when the Feds started to standardize certain exterior lighting and safety equipment specs.

mike