Stevenc22

Tips on reassembling CV joints on axels

6 posts / 495 viewsLast Reply

My CV boots were torn so I dissembled and cleaned the cv joints on the axels.

Now i'm trying to put the 6 ball bearings back into the cage and I am finding it impossible to get them to slide in the bearing tracks.

I have carefully followed the Haynes book making sure I have things facing the correct direction.

Such a silly problem to have. Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks

Steven

Yes, this can be tricky. Try put as many of the balls in first, then angle the hib using the groves in the hub to finese the remaining one in. After that pack in addition grease into the hub before closing up the assembly.

HTH

Justin

the key to doing these the first time is to do one at a time. leave one cv joint assembled so you can see how it goes together. (or at least take pictures of the alignment before you take it apart.) the inner hub has to be aligned in a certain way or even if you get it together, it will lock up. it is kind of like a rubic's cube, but easier after you have done it a few times.

I agree with the previous posts. Don't give up, just keep trying. Eventually you will figure it out, but there is no easy way to describe how you get all the balls back in while holding the assembly together. It looks impossible, but once you get it, you will be a "CV Jedi" on all your cars.