bfisher36

Replacing top Door weather strip (chrome piece), which clamp

19 posts / 2327 viewsLast Reply

If you are talking about the exterior rubber stripping, at the base of the door glass; that comes with the chrome strip that fastens to the top of the door. It has it's own clips that pressure fit over the door's metal lip.

I'm not sure if you can remove/replace that without first removing the wing window. Anyone else?

Scott

Not too worried about the price. It's a good price to pay to reduce the total amount of water that is going to end up in my 2002 this winter if the seals aren't replaced. =)

So, from the information I am gathering it is that I DON'T need to purchase any clips AND I should remove the triangle window glass before putting them in?

from entering the door - water WILL get in, but hopefully drain out the bottom. You'll have to remove your inner door panel to check the condition of the holes/drains at the bottom of the door. Then you can properly affix a new vapor barrier/Acella cloth - this keeps the water entering the door from reaching the backside of your inner door panel.

While you might need to remove the mirror to remove/install #3, you do not need to remove the vent window. I use a rubber or wooden wedge (think door stop) & hammer to gently work the metal strip up/off the top edge of the door.

And, unless things have changed in the past 20 years, that "rubber strip" Mike W. mentioned is a length of plastic with fuzzy cloth stuck to it. The benefit of this is that it doesn't become petrified over time, like the rubber that can scratch the outer window.

Thanks all for your help. I will attempt to use a rubber door stop + hammer without removing the vent window. I need these trim weatherstrips because when I purchased the car, they were not on there in the first place. So as you could imagine, I wash the car and water goes straight down into the door panel.

Cheers,

Bryan

and vapor barrier (installed onto the door, behind the inner door panel). If your vinyl door panel is getting wet, this barrier is tattered, loose or missing.

I've used a vinyl shower curtain or trash bag for this application, adhered with contact cement.

If your #3 had been missing all along, you'll need to install #8 (plastic weather strip) into #3 before installing #3 in the door.

Slide #8 into the groves of #3 all the way until it reaches the vertical column of the vent window, place complete assembly in door and then cut #8 to correct length.

How do you replace just the weather strip and where do you get it? Thanks

The weather strip, also known as "sealing lip", has part # 51211847798 and is similar for both left and right sides. It should be currently available from various sources from $21-$25 per piece.

It may not be too apparent from the attached pictures, but it's made of plastic and has a felt-like strip along one side. It is slid into the grooves of the chrome outer weather strip from the side that's at the edge of the door and inward toward the vertical column of the vent window.

post-22653-13667664996806_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately 51211847798 is temporarily NLA however it comes with if you buy the entire piece

Unfortunately 51211847798 is temporarily NLA however it comes with if you buy the entire piece

Steve, What is the cost of the entire piece pls? Entire piece = chrome piece and rubber/felt strip right?

Steve, What is the cost of the entire piece pls? Entire piece = chrome piece and rubber/felt strip right?

currently right about 110.00