HarryPR

Local pig-cheeked Alpina "barn find"!!

30 posts / 3469 viewsLast Reply

Or more like an "underground garage" find.

Rumors about this car have been running around locally for years. A friend and I decided to try to find it and, after some investigating, it was confirmed to be true!

It was one of three ordered by local enthusiasts, and all were imported as regular '02's to bypass emission laws, according to Ivan Pelegrina, an old school local BMW tech now living in the Tampa area. The other two had 165 HP engines, but the one on this one had 205 HP. According to Ivan, it was too much power for the owner's driving abilities.

After over 20 years of storage, the original owner has decide to bring it back to life.

Here are a couple of pics taken when I first saw the car a couple weeks ago.

post-90-13667664894281_thumb.jpg

post-90-13667664895268_thumb.jpg

post-90-13667664896205_thumb.jpg

Looks cool, but how did they get 205 Hp out of that engine? Looks like a single carb setup!?

The original engine is not in the car. We are in the process of finding its whereabouts. If it can not be found, a new engine will be built to the original Alpina specs, most probably by one of the mechanics who worked on the car when it was new.

The original engine is not in the car. We are in the process of finding its whereabouts. If it can not be found, a new engine will be built to the original Alpina specs, most probably by one of the mechanics who worked on the car when it was new.

Nice sleuth-work, Harry!

So.... the original owner went to the trouble of importing this special car, then.... removed the engine from it.

????

Curious minds want to know why! We are fortunate to have one of our best guys (that's YOU, Harry!) down there working on this case!

We are counting on you to get to the bottom of this, Harry!

;)

Brilliant , I can't wait to see it out in the daylight , what a blindin' find.

definitely underground garage - barns don't seem to be so friendly (as far as aging, rust, animals etc., "barn find" certainly is vogue terminology these days). Cool car, still amazes me to see these things turn up. Before 1970 (or thereabouts) AlpinA had a Gr. 5 spec motor - high compression pistons along with 45 Webers and a 324 cam that allegedly made 205bhp, so i am guessing if that is what it is, it has a 324 cam, which would be knarly for street use. Great story.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

OT .... I have a 1600 Bristol with red center taillights. Just received a very early 68 02 with euro front markers and red center tailights, parts car.

Would the red center taillights be appropriate for my 71ti clone car Riviera?

The 71ti (clone car) has all the US stuff saved giving it the euro look. Just want an opinion on the traillights. Thoughts?

The reason for the "missing" engine (which was/is, in fact a Grp. 5 one) is that the owner at one time sold it to an employee, only to buy it back. This employee removed the engine and replaced it with the one currently on the car in order to be able to use it (probably because the one in the car was not really streetable, as it was mentioned above). There are rumors that the engine may have been sold to a 2002 racer in the Dominican Republic, but this has not been confirmed.

I will post further news on this interesting car as I find out more about its history. In the meantime, here are a couple more pics, taken today:

post-310-13667664902377_thumb.jpg

post-310-1366766490334_thumb.jpg

post-310-13667664904267_thumb.jpg

for Chris, who asked:

OT .... I have a 1600 Bristol with red center taillights. Just received a very early 68 02 with euro front markers and red center tailights, parts car.

Would the red center taillights be appropriate for my 71ti clone car Riviera?

Chris, red center tail lights were used only on US spec 1600s and 2002s from 67-68 & 69. By 1970, US spec cars were coming in with the same amber center tail lights as the Euro cars. So your '71, whether Euro or US spec should have amber center lenses. But someone on the board will lust after those red center lenses for their earlier car...

cheers

mike