Sign in to follow this  
Zorac

1986 318i alternator swap

10 posts / 745 viewsLast Reply

there is an 86 318i at the wreckers near me, will this alternator swap over to my 2002? i see conflicting information, and when its discussed on the site, its usually specific to the 84-85 318i.

thank!

1986? I don't think BMW made a 318i in 1986. At least not in North America. I think the 318i was made from 1984-85 with an M10 and didn't come back until 1989 or 90 with the M42 (in North America).

Now, the 1984-85 alternator from the M10 does work great. While you're there, grab both the upper and lower brackets. You will need them to make it fit, and they are pricey new.

Where do people get their 87 casting M10 1.8 heads, if there was no 318i in that time period? Pretty sure they made them throughout those years...

I think 87 or late 88 was the last year the glorious M10 was ever made before the switch over to the torque-less yet bulletproof M42, and even more gutless M40 for the 316i (which I don't think we had here)

I think on those alternators you're supposed to leave one of the wires off of the alternator else something funky will happen, as the alternator has an internal regulator that the original to the car's Bosch did not.

ill guess i have to go see what the car actually is, wouldn't be the first time picknpull have listed a car wrong on the web page.

by lower bracket you mean the tentioning arm?

Where do people get their 87 casting M10 1.8 heads, if there was no 318i in that time period? Pretty sure they made them throughout those years...

I think 87 or late 88 was the last year the glorious M10 was ever made before the switch over to the torque-less yet bulletproof M42, and even more gutless M40 for the 316i (which I don't think we had here)

The M10 was used elsewhere (not in North America) after 1985, but the M10 318i was non imported from 1986-1989. In 1990, the 318i reappeared in 4-door form with an M42.

However, it's reasonable to believe that replacement M10 heads were manufactured and sent to North America after 1986.

Where did people get them? From BMW as replacement heads. And as Clay noted, the M10 was in production around the world, but not in North America. Now, being that the OP is in Canada, someone COULD have imported a European M10-based 1986 E30. It's possible. They just weren't imported here by BMW. If it is an E30 with an M10, grab the alternator and brackets regardless of what year it is.

Where do people get their 87 casting M10 1.8 heads

same place they got their 87 castingE21, E12 and 121 heads....

sorry, couldn't resist.

heh

t

turns out its a 85. engine is still complete (minus an alternator now!) so if anyone in the calgary area is looking for parts for megasquirt, it would be a good doner. lots of corrosion though, obviously had been a winter driver, so nothing is particularly clean.