Sign in to follow this  
jgerock

paging Rob Siegel, Justin Gerry and Vince S.

8 posts / 690 viewsLast Reply

Rob -

Since this is a picture included in one of your articles (Used BMW buying guide April 1987 Roundel), can you tell me if this wrecked car is Yale's 74tii? I have seen a larger picture of this same shot in another Roundel.

PS: I have recently read your story about his car rolling out the garage.

UsedBMWBuyingApril87page29.jpg

Jim

Yes, that is Yale's tii. He rolled it, I'm virtually certain, at a driver's school at New Hampshire International Speedway (NHIS). I was not there. Yale was a very good driver who could certainly get the rid mist in his eyes and push the car very hard. If I recall the story correctly, a tire blew during some particularly enthusiastic cornering at exactly the wrong time and the car wound up on its roof on a hay bail, but I'm not 100% certain.

I believe he told the insurance company the accident happened "on a road off route 106 in Loudon NH" and they covered the repair. I doubt anyone could pull this off today.

Yes, that's Yale's car. From what I heard, he came around a corner at full speed and there was hay bale in the middle of the fast line....he hit it and rolled, though it wasn't clear if the car rolled all the way over or just on it's side.