jgerock

80s Roundels -tii, headers, dual carb tuning,buying, history

12 posts / 1276 viewsLast Reply

Doing something a little different adding my scans of old Roundels. I'll try to add more to this thread on a weekly basis so they are all here.

Most everything scanned in this thread is courtesy of a box of '80's Roundels recently received from William Scheibner of San Diego - he passed them on to me.

I'll scan things that interest me and post them here. Some of you will recognize the article authors. I frequently see questions pop up on the FAQ about the things scanned here - IMO the information is very valuable and worth reading.

ModifiedtiiquestionOct89page74.jpg

ModifiedtiiquestionOct89page75.jpg

TuningcarbsJuly88page36.jpg

TuningcarbsJuly88page37.jpg

TuningcarbsJuly88page38.jpg

TuningcarbsJuly88page39.jpg

ShadeTreeOct89page72.jpg

ShadeTreeOct89page73.jpg

HeadercomparisonOct1985page48.jpg

HeadercomparisonOct1985page49.jpg

2002articleApril87page19.jpg

2002ArticleApril87pages20and21.jpg

2002ArticleApril87pages22and23.jpg

UsedBMWbuyingApril87page28.jpg

UsedBMWBuyingApril87page29.jpg

UsedBMWBuyingApril87page30.jpg

320racerJuly88page50.jpg

320racerJuly88page51.jpg

320racerJuly88page52.jpg

320racerJuly88page53.jpg

MY FAVORITE SO FAR

BadmechanicApril1983.jpg

Just because

White325isadOctober1985.jpg

M5advertisement.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Jim, great post. Need to print some of that out for future. The Tii article by the Redszus boys - anyone that has a tii or is thinking about getting a tii should read it, print it out and save it. I recall hearing most/all of it years ago - especially the part about the Stahl headers. Lots of "snake oil" peddled back then just like ther is today from a variety of vendors. Nice job.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Wow, those take me back. From a wrenching standpoint, the heyday of Roundel was when folks like Jim Rowe were writing Shade Tree and people like Pete McHenry were contributing regularly. Michel Potheau, of course, knew it all, as he would be the first to tell you :^)

Can we put these in the FAQ under History and Reference... After they all have been scanned of course.

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. I have Stahl headers on my car. Wonder if my old man was sold snake oil?

I think all of have .... I had a stahl header on my tii for a number of years. Interesting that the maker himself would admit no measureable difference over stock. I seem to recall you had to get to 1/5/8" primary's before you could measure a gain - and even then it was marginal at best. Buty hey, they look cool. Have a number of books with images of early AlpinA stuff - heads, engines etc., nearly ALL of them have tii manifols attached = no headers. That said, they did make their famous tri-y as well as a 4-1. Still, I think that Redszus article is really well written (or I should say their response to the question). I am guessing that answer was a lot more than what the writer bargained for.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. I have Stahl headers on my car. Wonder if my old man was sold snake oil?

I think all of have .... I had a stahl header on my tii for a number of years. Interesting that the maker himself would admit no measureable difference over stock. I seem to recall you had to get to 1/5/8" primary's before you could measure a gain - and even then it was marginal at best. Buty hey, they look cool. Have a number of books with images of early AlpinA stuff - heads, engines etc., nearly ALL of them have tii manifols attached = no headers. That said, they did make their famous tri-y as well as a 4-1. Still, I think that Redszus article is really well written (or I should say their response to the question). I am guessing that answer was a lot more than what the writer bargained for.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I recently purchased an older Stahl header but am thinking about using my old tii manifold from the 72 engine with a new downpipe on the '69. I think I'll have all three pieces ceramic coated just for grins (maybe garage art for the header like some folks do with alloy wheels and license plates).

I was thinking of actually starting a FAQ under construction article with some of these scans since I have so many - but CD has way more scanned info than I do.

I'm trying to scan all (if not most) of the Shade Tree Topics for future posting. I have to sneak them in during early AM work hours for higher resolution.

Good idea on starting a listing of those articles, they did publish some valuable info. I gave up my CCA membership a long time ago (that is another thread I know) with the advent of the internet for buying parts and pieces - one of the main reasons I had my membership was to have a look at the for sale section.....I think you should try the Stahl and see what you think, you can change later back to the OE tii manifold when you want. From some of the old AlpinA tuning manuals I have, it appears that the enlarged the exhaust ports by quite a bit (and they were round), no pictures of the tii manifold but assume the ports on the manifold were likewise enlarged and matched to the head. I believe the boys at Metric Mechanic do this as well although not sure if they offer it for o2's. At some point I will try and dig out some of those photo's I have.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Jim, you are doing great, can you just stay overnight and get them all done? :-)

LOL - Bill, I am there enough already (6:30am-5+pm). My vacation hours have capped for several months.

Thanks Jim for the great reading. I would happily pay extra for my CCA membership if they would substitue current Roundels for these!!

(No offense, Mike and Rob!)

bob

www.alpinabmw2002.com

I recently purchased an older Stahl header but am thinking about using my old tii manifold from the 72 engine with a new downpipe on the '69. I think I'll have all three pieces ceramic coated just for grins (maybe garage art for the header like some folks do with alloy wheels and license plates).

I was thinking of actually starting a FAQ under construction article with some of these scans since I have so many - but CD has way more scanned info than I do.

I'm trying to scan all (if not most) of the Shade Tree Topics for future posting. I have to sneak them in during early AM work hours for higher resolution.

the header test in the article is specific to ONE engine setup, a stock tii with stock center are rear exhaust sections. and was done with rudimentary timing, not on a dyno in controlled environment. bigger headers see gains when installed as part of a system. opening up the header will not show much gain without bringing more air into the engine through more/bigger carbs, and being able to expell that additional air flow through something bigger than the stock soda straw exhaust system. in jim's case, he is putting a header on a newly built engine with hotter cam and dual sidedraft carbs. my bet is the stahl will assist in more hp than a stock tii manifold.