sheggaw

M42 Conversion cost

10 posts / 3496 viewsLast Reply

Hello everyone...

has anyone tallied how much an M42 conversion might cost? the way Jake does it... I know no one likes to think about how much these cars are money pits, but 6-7 K ? I am sure it has to be less much less than M2 conversion....

Depends on whether you plan to do the work yourself, or ask Jake to do it for you, or find another competent team to do it for you. Also depends on scope, the target quality of the end product, and how many changes you make along the way.

sorry, not an exact answer for you but if s14 conversions cost up to 10k (when all said and done) id think the m42 would be similar. I wouldn't call 02's money pits though. small investments can keep the cars running (and keeping up) with a lot more modern "shit boxes".

keep in mind, that 02 will be a race car with that motor.

I suspect ClayW's m42 conversion was substantially less than $10k, probably closer to $3k. However, he did the work himself and/or with the assistance of locals, and with conversion parts by 02Again (I think.) Clay didn't rebuild his motor or trans prior to the swap.

I note that an m42 isn't really going to make a 2002 into a race car. It puts out around 140 hp, roughly equivalent to a decent dual side draft setup, only somewhat more reliable, and with decent fuel mileage. It seems like a pretty good swap to make. The weight of the m42 isn't going to throw the balance off, and m42s are currently relatively plentiful and cheap.

I suspect ClayW's m42 conversion was substantially less than $10k, probably closer to $3k. However, he did the work himself and/or with the assistance of locals, and with conversion parts by 02Again (I think.) Clay didn't rebuild his motor or trans prior to the swap.

I note that an m42 isn't really going to make a 2002 into a race car. It puts out around 140 hp, roughly equivalent to a decent dual side draft setup, only somewhat more reliable, and with decent fuel mileage. It seems like a pretty good swap to make. The weight of the m42 isn't going to throw the balance off, and m42s are currently relatively plentiful and cheap.

you're very right, I got my engine numbers mixed up. I was thinking the m42 was a online 6. thanks for the correction and pardon my misinformation.

on a side note, it its like a dual carb car, then its kinda like a race set up (ti's were)

id love to know more info.as well

Anything from a grand to ten, depending on what your goals and standards and abilities are.

I'd use the E36 gearbox, if it'd fit (it doesn't) since it's really got nice ratios

for fast driving.

t

Yeah, if you're frugal and do the work yourself as low as $1K...Retail parts and labor probably $4-5K. I thought an M2 swap was $6-10K diy?

Sorry. If I kept records, I would be divorced. but mine were around 6-7k apiece because I also had to get them there and back. Jake did 3 02s and a 2000 for me. One is a turbo and it was more expensive. I would say that an M42 could mean new life for 76 2002s in harsh smog states. If you are a player and not just a payer like me, you can get them and put them in per what Skip said!

I did mine for about $1200 and did the work myself (I get by with a little help from my friends.)

Parts Bought:

- Used M42 from a 1991 318is with DME

- E30 Transmission

- E30 Driveshaft

- Engine Wiring Harness

- New Seals (oil pan, valve cover, etc.)

- New E30 Radiator

- New Hoses

- E30 Battery Relocation Cable

- E21 Shifter Platform

- E36 M3 Shifter Link and Associated bushings and clips

- Electronic Speedometer Sender

- MSD Tach Adapter

- Exhaust Work

- Coil-on-plug Kit

At the time, I went ahead and redid all of the rubber suspension bushings and converted my car to a shortneck rear differential. Also, I didn't make it to Vintage that year because I didn't think to swap out the $65 water pump, which failed on the way. For more details, see my blog below. I began the work in March of 2011.

• Like 1

(edited)

Yeah, if you're frugal and do the work yourself as low as $1K...Retail parts and labor probably $4-5K. I thought an M2 swap was $6-10K diy?

M2 or M42? A decent condition, semi-high mileage S14 is at lease $5000 alone.

Didn't look to see when the thread was from. Ignore my former comment.

Edited by mattio523