ingramlee

Electrical Issue

4 posts / 399 viewsLast Reply

Hi Everyone,

Question... I recently purchased a 73 2002. Is it normal for the head lights not to work unless the car is running? All other lights work when the car is off. ie..parking, tail, signal, side marker, license plate, etc... also after changing the cluster bulbs to new.. Got Nothing is there something else I should check. Fuse is good because everything else on that circuit works.

Thanks,

my 74 is the same way. the headlights only work when it is running. I assume its normal all my other BMWs have been the same way also

Car doesn't have to be running, but the ignition (key) needs to be on.

Saves you from leaving the headlights on and draining the battery.

wired so the headlights will stay on with the ignition off. Later roundie cars (VINs 257/8/9 and all squarelights) are wired so the headlights only work with the ignition on, but all other exterior lights plus the dash lights work all the time.

In addition, on at least the 72 and 73 cars, setting the turn signal to a left or right turn with the ign off will cause the right or left parking light and tail light to illuminate--on-street parking requirement in many European countries. Don't think this feature works on US squarelights, though.

cheers

mike