Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

cluster catastrophy

10 posts / 754 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Issues with the instrument cluster on my 76 2002. Had 4 issues last week, new sender unit and speedo cable solved 2 but now the naggling temp gauge and the new prob with brake warning light have me feeling like one step forward two backwards. Switched out the two 5 prong relays on firewall and have had issues with brake warning light coming on for no apparant reason. Checked ebrake and resivor level sender, all fine but light comes on anyway, intermitant but very annoying, temp gauge never worked but have replaced sender and cleaned all connections. Heres the q, do these circuts run through relays? Where is the main cluster ground under dash?

Thank You Kindly for help

It grounds by being placed on the dash, pretty much. Check that your firewall to engine block ground strap is physically present and in OK shape and make sure the engine block is connected to the fender or battery negative via another strap. For the E-brake, check the switch on the back of the E-brake itself (under the rubber boot) if your car has one (I can't remember if later 02's have this, forgive me if it doesn't).

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for qwik reply, 76ers do have ebrake light and checked it out, not the problem, the ground I am looking for is under the dash? I believe it grounds the dash ground wire to shell under the dash somewhere? Got lucky with my first two 02s and never had these kinda problems

Firewall to transmission bel housing, though the exact implementation varies from year to year. The other one might be near the oil filter to fender (or battery negative) and/or valve cover nut to fender.

You might need to run your own cluster ground. Do a forum search for "cluster and ground". You will find threads with pictures of what it should look like.

You might need to run your own cluster ground. Do a forum search for "cluster and ground". You will find threads with pictures of what it should look like.

+1

common problem

are you sure the brake warning light is not the reservoir sender? the float cracks, fills with fluid and sinks, setting off the light. besides that, you have that circuit grounding somewhere. 12v goes through the warning light, out to a split, then a wire goes to float and to ebrake. light is activated by float or ebrake switches closing and going to ground. if light is coming on, one of those switchs is not working probably or the wire run is grounding along the way somewhere.

no, there are no relays in either of these systems.

to indicate the e-brake is on; roundies don't have that feature.

Once you've checked the brake fluid level float/switch, I'd check the hot lead on the e-brake switch to make sure it isn't near and thus intermittently touching a ground somewhere under that lever boot. The bracket holding the switch is pretty flimsy, and can be easily bent so that you have an intermittent grounding.

cheers

mike

Guest Anonymous

Heres the catch, I believe the brake warning light on 76ers are part of the idiot light package, ie. they come on when key is turned on and shut off after tick over, this is why I know they go through a relay, the infamous 5 pole connection on wiring diagram. To test completely discoed the fluid level sender, ditto the ebrake switch, my dash top seatbelt, nuclear reactor lights flash at times telling me a fault in timer, relay could be behind it all. Heres the Q, two relays on fire wall and cig pack size silver box, what do they do? All engine temp, smog etc wiring run through these and have never known their use, I know 99% of gauge probs are ground issues but think something deeper is goin on here, tip me?

What controls those relays? (energizes their coils) ...is it the ignition switch? Maybe they're for load-shedding? I know 80's BMWs have that but maybe the '76 does too? I doubt they're the problem... a relay will work or not work ; )

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for reply, its gotta run off the ig lead somehow, with the timer/relay shutting down idiots after car starts, just know the intermitant flashing of above dash seat belt etc signals somethin dif that a ground short. Ive figured out the wiper motor in a 70 roundie, seems this s/b simple compared