Bdkee

1968 1600 Brake Master Cylinder

16 posts / 1402 viewsLast Reply

Hi All,

Resto continues on the '68 1600. Does anyone know of a good place to find either a rebuilt brake master cylinder or rebuild kit for the current one? I've got a leak at the input shaft.

Thanks.

If your 1600 is like the `68 2002 you can use the e21 single line master cylinder and just get new grommets to mount the reservoir on it. Also recommend using e21 solid rotor `78 and on front calipers, the original pads are tiny.

....Also recommend using e21 solid rotor `78 and on front calipers, the original pads are tiny.

But still stop the car VERY well. I refreshed all of mine a couple of years ago and they are surprisingly good.

I'm just now dealing with this on my 1600. That brake MC doesn't exist anymore. It's a very rare piece. Right now I have someone looking in Germany for any info. Nothing good in the states.

Let me know if you want to go the e21 route I have the master, grommets and calipers (rebuilds from Advance) sitting on the shelf. I had a 68 I was going to redo but realized it was too far gone and junked it. Don't need the stuff any longer.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I'll take a chance on it. Just dropped you a PM. Let me know if you received it.

Thanks.

Brian

I had mine rebuilt by a company on the east coast. I'll check the name of the company for you. I have to go out to the garage to get the information.

That is the dual line MC, the e21 is single just like your original, bolts right in. Unless you have a euro 1600 with the remote booster, sounds like yours is US just like mine.

I just rebuilt the MC on my 67 1600. Rebuild kits are available. Do you have a pic of your MC ? And where is it located ? IS it mounted on the pedal box or is it mounted on the booster as with later cars. There are 2 different styles / lengths when mounted on the pedal box. There are also 2 diffrent styles when mounted on the booster. I really need to see what you have.

Slavs

Two problems... I have a top BMW shop looking through their German contacts for any rebuild kits, because they're not made anymore, apparently..

there aren't any available in the US and even if there are any in Germany, they would probably be NOS and the rubber would be useless.

Also, you may run into pitting of the inner portion due to the inevitable water in the system at some point in the last 40+ years...which could make a rebuild less successful.

When/if I get news about the overseas kit availability, I'll post up my findings.

Mine is on the pedal box, not the booster. I'll snap some pics as I'm pulling the old one out this week.

I've got the e21 unit on the way so I'll post up the results of giving that a try.

Brian,

The master I have goes on the booster not on the pedal box. I may be sending you the wrong stuff. The 68 1600 I had it was on the booster as well. I will hold on shipping until we figure it out, the pictures will definetely help.

Tim

OK, thanks. I'll pull mine out by tomorrow and see what we can compare.

Finally got the old MC out. Maximilian is on the hunt for something that will work and I'll probably call Whitepost to see if they can do a rebuild on it without an OE rebuild kit. I'll keep you all posted.

**Sorry, pics are kind of blurry.

post-16835-13667665102701_thumb.jpg

post-16835-13667665103862_thumb.jpg