• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper insert source for the OEM 13 and 16" blades?

Mike Self

I'm striking out at the chain stores--AutoZone, etc.

NY1 know of a good source? Don't wanna use the black blades on my roundie...

TIA

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike - Do a Google search for "Trico Classic" wiper blades. They produce silver, vintage type blades from 10"-18" and are inexpensive. The p/n for the 16" blade is 33-162. I'm still looking for the p/n for 13". HTH

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Mother Duck, I wish my memory was better but I thought I got some Bosch blades at the correct length from some retail store.

I think I had to take the blade out of the "refill" then insert in the stainless steel blades.

Sorry for being vague, but I seem to live in vagueness now of days.

• Like 1

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Silver metal blade holders, includes rubber blade.

Trico Classic 33-150. 15" Bayonet mount.

Napa# WIP 601537

3.0 CS

Trico Classic 33-162. 16" Shepherd's cook mount.

Napa# WIP 601647

Both available on Amazon $25 or so a pair.

• Thanks 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Just buy some black blades and swap the insert out of those into your silver blades.

The inserts are hard to find now and will most likely get harder since new cars are now using the floppy type wiper blades that don't have removable inserts.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

How about stainless steel in the original lengths?

I went to a marine hardware store and they have a brand of stainless steel blades that fit our old arms perfectly. Sorry can't post the brand name right now. I've forgotten and can't get to my car to check.

A little more money but beautiful and forever. Check your local marine hardware suppliers. I'm sure the brand is international. All our local marine stores carry them.

They are very cool, and look the same as the original polished steel kine.

Funny note: Salesperson says "These will never rust!" And I say "Doesn't matter, my car never goes out in the rain anyway."

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Paul, we don't have too many marine supply houses in SW Ohio, but next time I'm at a West Marine shop I'll check.

Bill Williams--your memory is correct--I found some 17" Bosch inserts and installed the rubber part into the old stainless steel frames that held the old rubber. Had to get an inch longer insert so I could trim off the plastic clip from one end--not used on our wipers.

I had stockpiled wiper inserts--turned out to be 15" and our cars use 16".

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

TIA

mike

Advance Auto

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Classic-Trico_5070457-P_326_R|GRPWIPEAMS____

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,347912/highlight,/

In a pile of parts I recently purchased were some boxes of new 13" wiper refills (in cool, original boxes); if interested and still looking, email me. -KB

• 1 month later...

Mike,

This isn't a lot of help, but -- around a month ago -- I took one of my 30-year-old inserts to a local NAPA store. Because I insisted on using my original metal, freshly re-powdercoated, "frames" -- the flat metal piece that grasps the top of the insert and slides into the arm -- he rooted around in the backroom and came up with some dusty inserts that work perfectly. I'll look to see if there are any markings on them when I return home.

I also found some other inserts that came with new plastic frames that might work with the original arms, but my "NAPA backroom solution" stopped me from trying this alternative. Again, I have more info at home.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 5 years later...
3 hours ago, bluehills2002 said:

Is it still possible to purchase just the rubber blades for Bosch wipers on a ‘74?  In simpler times, I recalling just buying a pair of blades and then threading them onto the existing frames.  What is the current practice?

We have a foreign auto parts place here in the DC area that still sells the Bosch MicroEdge rubber refills - Olympus Auto Parts.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif