• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Photos of Stereos

Nicad

;-)

Nice carbon fiber 'woofer' you got there, Ray. I hear you - I also do lotsa driving listening to that stereo under the hood.

My own set-up = Non-vintage knob-less touchpanel head unit, VDO Vision gauges in a Parker console face, Boston Acoustic component speakers in custom glas enclosures, and an external amp mounted under the drivers seat.

My02-Dash.jpg

Love the Momo wheel. Where did you find and how much?

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,370482/highlight,/

short console / Becker Europa mono w/ Infinity speaker & mp3 input cable. Sounds good, but when on highway I just shut it off and drive

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

I went with the Becker Mexico (as it has the cassette feature) and had it adapted for MP3 input. Also bought the Becker balance control as I have four speakers (two on the parcel shelf, and two in the kick panels). I intend to install it this fall. In the meantime, here is another forum member's Becker Europa install from another thread on this site.

9jobw6.png

That looks like an early picture of my tii.

Becker Europa II radio with fader in Behr console. Bimmer Parts carpet kit, flexible shift boot, et al.

No Jim, that looks like an early picture of MY tii!! Actually that pic was taken by the guy I bought the car from. I must have posted the pic here on the FAQ years ago in a post about something.... can't remember anymore.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Most of the cars originally came with the mono Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" which is what you see in that Ebay ad. Beckers are DIN and fit / mount the same but were not what the dealers peddled (no radios from the factory if I recall right - and the antennas (usually Hirschmann) & installed, same as the Behr & Frigiking A/C's were retrofits.

Oh for the days when you could go to the junkyard and grab a Becker Europa for $50 out of a Benz and pop it in. More power and the Shortwave would actually work.

Here's a nice link you will find useful:

http://www.02tii.com/gauges.shtml

post-20060-13667664582952_thumb.jpg

Is fuel efficiency really what we need most desperately? I say what we really need is a car that can be shot when it breaks down.

- George Carlin

This is very well timed, I have a quick question as I am clueless (but learning!) in regards to stereo setup.

Just picked up a beautiful Becker Europa (no external amp, one speaker wire) and am looking to do a basic 4 speakers w/ a 4 channel amp setup.

1) Can I connect a 4 channel amp up to the Becker to run radio (what amp and wire connections should be considered? I've come across a low freq. to high freq. rca adapter, but I've read something about a power/ground line problem between the radio and amp?) and then run an Ipod directly into that same amp for my other music? Where would I start looking for such an amplifier and wiring?

Thank you.

This is very well timed, I have a quick question as I am clueless (but learning!) in regards to stereo setup.

Just picked up a beautiful Becker Europa (no external amp, one speaker wire) and am looking to do a basic 4 speakers w/ a 4 channel amp setup.

1) Can I connect a 4 channel amp up to the Becker to run radio (what amp and wire connections should be considered? I've come across a low freq. to high freq. rca adapter, but I've read something about a power/ground line problem between the radio and amp?) and then run an Ipod directly into that same amp for my other music? Where would I start looking for such an amplifier and wiring?

Thank you.

The classic "pinstripe" Beckers available from the late '60s through '80 (named for the striped faceplates) have a spare external jack, generally on the rear panel, that, although primarily designed to accommodate stand-alone short wave/long wave radio adapters, works perfectly as an input for iPods. You can buy the adapter cables on eBay, and elsewhere on the Web, and install it yourself, or you can have Becker Autosound out of New Jersey supply and/or install it. It's very easy: you plug it in. The iPod simply trumps the radio when it's plugged in.

Unless your Becker unit says its a stereo unit on the paper label (on the radio's side) and/or on the faceplate (assuming its got the correct faceplate), and it has left and right outputs, it's a monaural unit. You can run and amp 4 speakers from it but that won't make it a stereo unit. Monaural = 1 channel.

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

My Europa II had a separate amplifier box installed behind/above the glove box.

pics102608032.jpg

The Becker separate amp issue is something to consider. As in Jim's car, it clearly is workable, but if you don't want the separate amp to deal with, here's the general story. And I'm only talking about Becker stereo units, not the monaural units.

The Europa Stereo (not II) came out around 1969 and was built until '72. All of these have an external amp. The Europa II Stereo came out in '72 or '73. In the first year of production, the Europa II Stereo had an external amp but subsequent years' Europa II Stereos have no external amp. (I have definitely seen "H"-coded Europa II Stereos, i.e., '72, with an external amp; I am uncertain if there are any "J"-coded Europa II Stereos, i.e., '73, with an external amp.) All Europa Stereos and all Europa II Stereos built through '76 have 5 pushbuttons. From '77 until the end of production in '80 (maybe '81), Europa II Stereos have 6 pushbuttons. The Europa II Stereos without amps have particularly small cases and thus work easily with a Behr A/C unit.

All Grand Prix Stereos of this era (with power tuning) and Mexico Stereos of this era (with cassette player) have an external amp.

Lastly, the paper label on the side of the unit has a letter prefix that gives the date: A is 1965, B is 1966, and onward, although "I" is not used because of possible confusion with "1." Thus, J is 1973, K is 1974, and onward.

That's it!

Steve

The classic "pinstripe" Beckers available from the late '60s through '80 (named for the striped faceplates) have a spare external jack, generally on the rear panel, that, although primarily designed to accommodate stand-alone short wave/long wave radio adapters, works perfectly as an input for iPods. You can buy the adapter cables on eBay, and elsewhere on the Web, and install it yourself, or you can have Becker Autosound out of New Jersey supply and/or install it. It's very easy: you plug it in. The iPod simply trumps the radio when it's plugged in.

Unless your Becker unit says its a stereo unit on the paper label (on the radio's side) and/or on the faceplate (assuming its got the correct faceplate), and it has left and right outputs, it's a monaural unit. You can run and amp 4 speakers from it but that won't make it a stereo unit. Monaural = 1 channel.

Steve

Thank you Steve,

I am aware of the Autosound ipod adapter, didn't think that I could do that instead of running it into the amp.

The radio is the Mono setup. What would be the appropriate adapter needed to connect to the 4channel amplifier? What type of amplifier should I be looking for?

I'm trying to keep the Low to High frequency in mind, along with the grounding/power wire. Don't want to accidentally burn out something.

Lastly, the paper label on the side of the unit has a letter prefix that gives the date: A is 1965, B is 1966, and onward, although "I" is not used because of possible confusion with "1." Thus, J is 1973, K is 1974, and onward.

Steve

Interesting piece of information Steve. Thanks. I guess that makes my Becker Mexico a 1979 year of manufacture

iqa03l.jpg

Steve

Interesting piece of information Steve. Thanks. I guess that makes my Becker Mexico a 1979 year of manufacture

iqa03l.jpg

Yep. But no one here's going to tell! What we learn on FAQ, stays on FAQ!

So I feel safe in admitting that I'm going to replace my 1978 Blaupunkt (my car's 3rd radio due to 2 thefts "back in the day") with a 1975 ("L") Europa II Stereo. My first radio was, indeed, a Europa II Stereo but I'm confident it was a 1976 ("M") model. Shhhh!

Regards,

Steve

The radio is the Mono setup. What would be the appropriate adapter needed to connect to the 4channel amplifier? What type of amplifier should I be looking for?

I'm sorry. Although I do love my iPad, I have little or no knowledge of modern technology. But there are plenty of people on this forum who know lots about it!

Regards,

Steve

Apologies to Original poster for side-bar...

No Jim, that looks like an early picture of MY tii!! Actually that pic was taken by the guy I bought the car from. I must have posted the pic here on the FAQ years ago in a post about something.... can't remember anymore.

Thanks for reminding me Jeremy - I did say "early" picture - most likely from Matt. R..

Floor mats?

IMG_0013.jpg

320 sport steering wheel?

interior.jpg

Does your dad still have that 911?

IMG_0012.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thx - I thought they were actually still available from Momo - but I guess that changed over the last few years. They're no longer currently offered - but the current Momo wheel linked looks pretty similar. Mines a 13.5" model - the 350mms seem close.

http://www.momousa.com/tuning/steering-wheels/tuner-black.html

HTH,

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Shh...

;-)

Ray- that's VERY cool. I love the Doppler effect of your run... I need to do one of those with mine and record it.

All I've done audio-wise to date is this:

http://home.comcast.net/~visionaut/images/visionaut02-Exhaust_recording.mp3

Tom

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com