billjecks

parcel shelf

6 posts / 1188 viewsLast Reply

some one really roughed up my metal parcel shelf in an effort to put in too big speakers. anyone have any bright ideas how to fix it,short of welding in new metal? If i could find a clean shelf I would venture to splice it in but thats not likely to happen.

Bill

Vancouver BC

73 tii

How about a sheet or sheets of 3/4" ply or MDF screwed to the underside of the steel shelf filling the holes. You can put holes into the board to suit more appropriate speakers. You then cut and cover a new Masonite board to cover the inside.

If you want stealth speakers then mount to the underside of the board inside the trunk and drill holes in the Masonite before covering in speaker cloth. If you want the speakers on show then install through Masonite into the board beneath in the usual way.

How about a sheet or sheets of 3/4" ply or MDF screwed to the underside of the steel shelf filling the holes. You can put holes into the board to suit more appropriate speakers. You then cut and cover a new Masonite board to cover the inside.

If you want stealth speakers then mount to the underside of the board inside the trunk and drill holes in the Masonite before covering in speaker cloth. If you want the speakers on show then install through Masonite into the board beneath in the usual way.

+1 on that... I have the same issue, some PO cut a lot of metal out. I ended up sandwiching two pieces of plywood in between for the speaker and then masonite board over the speakers. I need to drill some holes into the masonite and then cover it with fabric so that it doesn't sound as muffled as it does, but it turned out very nice

This is exactly what I did to my parcel shelf. I covered mine with speaker cloth (recessed speakers) and you cannot see them, only hear them.

+1, I had the same problem with mine. I trimmed the rough parts away to get a clean edge, then cut filler panels to cover the hole from 22ga sheetmetal. Painted it up to prevent corrosion, then RTV'd the filler panels in place from the top. works well for sealing up the cabin, and requires no screws.

I was thinking of putting a complete new sheet over top with aircraft bonding glue or the glue they use in the newer bmws, then dynamatt the underside inside the trunk

Bill