GreenSwede

Need help on CMR/Borrani data? Conserv? Anyone?

8 posts / 1024 viewsLast Reply

Found a set, or at least two Borrani triangular 6x13 rims.

(Looking around because I bought four but one of them turned out to be beaten up quite badly..)

Anyway, I have two straight and nice 6x13 ET30, and need another two.

The seller has two, marked "6j-13, 6/74,R1528,CMR,KBA40008", but he says he can´t find any ET marking..? Does the numbers above say anything?

He did write the backspace is "roughly" 11cm, and my ET30 are quite exactly 12cm. But that could be the "roughly" 10mm, exact and roughly depends on who´s measuring..

Anyone that can help? Conserv seem to be the go-to-man..=)

That's right. Those are model R1-528 rims (sometimes impressed as "R1/528"), and that's an ET17. You're looking for model R1-561 rims, which are ET30.

There seem to be a lot more of the R1-528 rims around lately. But, honestly, if you're patient, everything comes around. There were 2 R1-561 rims for sale on this forum just this month.

There's some subtle debate as to which ET was designed for '02s. The German forum tends to say ET17 is for '02s and ET30 is for Opels. People on this forum seem to lean toward ET30 for '02s and ET17 for e21s. Both versions, however, were produced before the first (European) e21s were manufactured in May (?) 1975. But both versions were also produced years after '02 production ceased. I wouldn't worry about this too much: both ET17 and ET30 versions are used regularly and successfully on '02s.

If I were in a hurry to find a couple of R1-561 rims, I'd first advertise on this forum and then, if that failed, I'd start looking at the old Opel sites (out of Germany). It appears to me that singles or pairs of Borranis out of Germany sell fairly cheaply, probably because they're not useful unless you've got a set.

But have you considered rim repairs and/or trueing? Most wheel shops are comfortable straightening alloy wheels. A few shops, like the Wheel Collision Center in Bath, Pennsylvania, also straighten and true steel rims. Surely steel rim straightening is not limited to the U.S. I'd pursue that possibility -- at least finding out if your two bad rims are repairable and, if so, at what price -- before buying additional rims.

Good luck and regards,

Steve

Thanks, both of you.

It´s just that everything resembling labour is very, very expensive in Sweden, so buying two more rims seemed cheaper. But, I´ll check the precise cost of having them done.

Cause, ET17´s wont fit with 205´s on lowered 02 with stock fenders, right..?

Cause, ET17´s wont fit with 205´s on lowered 02 with stock fenders, right..?

I don't know for certain. There is a lot of collective experience on this forum and it sounds like you've already tapped into it.

Regards,

Steve

Tapped in a bit, but would like to hear from someone that has tried.

I´m now running 5 1/2 ET18 front and rear with 185/70, and there just might be room in the rear for the ET17´s with 205.. The front is the critical point, I reckon.

ET17 rear and ET30 front with 205´s, could that work?