thehackmechanic

curve of tii plastic intake plenum tubes

7 posts / 1380 viewsLast Reply

I'm replacing the o-rings at the tops and bottoms of the tii's plastic intake plenums which is a more miserable job than I'd ever imagined. I marked the plenums before removing I'm not certain the plenums were correctly oriented before I took them out. In addition to the top-to-bottom bend, each plenum has a sideways curve. Am I correct in assuming that the curve on the plenums for cylinders 1 and 2 faces the front of the car, and that the curve on the plenums for cylinders 3 and 4 faces the rear of the car, thus giving the throttle body in the middle the most space?

--Rob

As you can see from CD's pics, the outboard ones curve to the inside and the inboard ones curve to the outside. It takes a good hefty shove to get them to "pop" into place. G

Thanks Gracer and everyone else. By looking at these pics and many others I pulled up on line, and by verifying that #2 and #3 have to curve away from the throttle body to clear it, and that #1 doesn't fit very well against the FI pump if it curves toward it (indeed #4 appears to be the only one that can comfortably go in either way), I concluded that they, in fact alternate, even though to my eye it looks asymmetrical and therefore wrong. Also found Stone's post about boiling the plastic plenums and taking the pot of hot water with the plenums in it down to the car and popping them in hot. Worked like a charm.

Now, when it stops raining, I'll drive the beast and see if the new o-rings squashed any intake leaks and helped my lean-running problem.