Sign in to follow this  
leafer

WTB: 1972 tii, Toronto, Canada (will buy out of US)

25 posts / 2927 viewsLast Reply

Being from Toronto you will no doubt have heard the ad "it's worth the drive to Acton". The same is true for tii's, i.e. I wouldn't let distance dictate your purchase. My '72 tii is a California car, as are the two other collector cars I own. The best way to increase your odds of getting a rust free example is to source your car from California or other dry climates like Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Yes I've heard the ads. Thanks for the advice. Obviously I don't want to limit my market and want to get a quality car. I'll keep my eyes peeled across NA.

A few questions (one Toronto boy to another)...

Did you bring the car over the border yourself and was it a hassle? I've done a little research but I definitely need to do more.

Are there any local meet up groups you know of?

And lastly do you have or know of a Toronto or area based mechanic that works on 2002's?

Thanks for all your help so far Brent.

Hi Leafer.

I bought my tii about 6 months ago. Having been away from 2002's for many years, Kris (who also responded to your post) was very helpful to me in the process. I asked the same question as you about knowledgeable '02 mechanics in the area and was given three names:

Usic Choi-Total Motor Werkes-905-841-7771

Marcus Glarner- Marcus Glarner Motors 905-985-6556

Graham Hill-416-291-9919

As for bringing cars into Canada it's a very simple and straightforward exercise. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is to ensure you provide US Customs with advance notice (72 hours) of your planned export of the vehicle in question. Full details can be had by calling the Vehicle Export information line (716)843-8359.

I have found that the most cost-effective way to bring a car into Canada is to have it shipped by a US auto shipper from the point of purchase to Youngstown NY (border) and to meet the shipper there and drive the car home to Toronto yourself and deal with US and Canadians customs on your own. I have used a firm called Pacific Eastern Express for my last two cars.

http://www.pacificeasternexpress.com

This approach will cut the cost of transport in half, as compared to a door to door service offered by Toronto based firms like MacKie Auto Shipping.

Yes there are local groups,. One such group is the annual TedFest

http://tedfest.ca/

And the Facebook group. Toronto BMW 2002 Owners

http://www.facebook.com/groups/155971377765661/

Brent, all the info's fantastic!

Did you happen to personally check out your '02 before buying or did you get a PPI done before buying?

What am I looking at in terms of shipping cost from California? It seems like they're more available and affordable if bought on the west coast.

Cheers.

Brent, Kris,

FYI I took a look at the Facebook group. If either of you recall, there was an ad posted on kijiji for a '73 in early August. It was mentioned on the Facebook group, with contact info for the seller in the comments (says he's had it for about 6 months). The seller still has it out in Oakville.

Would either of you be interested in meeting up and checking out the car with me an evening next week? If not, the link's attached. Would love to know what you think.

Thanks!

Paul

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1973-BMW-2002-tii-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ401687632

Leafer:

Circumstances were such that I concluded that I did not need to personally inspect the tii I bought last spring. Doing so would have cost me about $1,000. Instead I relied on tons of photos taken by the owner along with other specific photos that I requested of him, along with a PPI performed by a reputable BMW shop (recommended by a poster on this forum) in which the inspector called me when he had the car on a hoist and after he had taken it for a test drive.

Again. Kris was very helpful to me in this process and I bounced the PPI findings past him (and Ben at 2002AD), before agreeing to buy the car.

As I said earlier personally inspecting the car would have cost me $1,000 in travel expenses, and I was comfortable enough and thorough enough to conclude this money would be better spent on buying a few of the parts the car was going to require (mostly new trim pieces like grilles, etc.). Glad to report the car was actually better than I had concluded from my due diligence/PPI.

As for inspecting the tii that you provided a link to, I'd be happy to see the car with you some night next week (although Kris is the more knowledgeable of the two of us).

Brent

I looked at the car in Oakville, as I happened to be working in that area about a month ago. If you could get it for about $1,500. it might be worth it, but it will need a ton of work. It's been for sale for over a year, according to the guy who works in the body shop where it's parked. I didn't hear it run, so can't comment on that. It looks better in these pics than it does in real life.

Does it have to be a 72 tii, or are you open to other options?

post-21461-13667664560026_thumb.jpg

post-21461-13667664561098_thumb.jpg

post-21461-13667664562174_thumb.jpg

post-21461-13667664563249_thumb.jpg

Brent,

How's Monday night around 7 PM work for you?

Tony,

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a world of difference between what he's asking and what you think it's worth. Glad to see photos of the interior as well. Can tell why the seller didn't mention much about it in the ad.

I want a roundie tii. It doesn't necessarily have to be a '72 though its preferred.

Any other details you can pass along?

Paul

Maybe I was a little harsh is my evaluation, but what I saw was a car that has been sitting outside for a year, and in my opinion needs a thorough going over.

There's a reason it's still for sale. Call me at four one six 417 3804. I might have a lead. Tony