M2M3

how do you keep front wheel bearing caps on

15 posts / 1252 viewsLast Reply

#$%^&* caps!

i lose a couple of these every track weekend. put new ones on...hammer them on as they are so tight. go out for a session or two, and.....one of them is gone. replace it, a couple of sessions later the one on the other side is gone.

stock 02 struts, 320 hubs and rotors.

they go on very tight, can't even budge them by hand. i am guessing the heat from the brakes heats the hub up, which expands slightly and the bearing cap falls out.

how do you keep them in?

thanks!

When I tried getting new caps on, I couldn't get them to stay on for anything, they just didn't fit right. Went back to the old caps & they snap on nicely, and stay on no problem.

Find some old caps?

I went thru a similiar problem a few years ago and discovered, after a lot of trial and error, that although I'd ordered std. '02 caps from a knowledgable 2002 supplier I'd actually been sent, twice, caps for a tii. Look, and seem to fit, the same, but they are different. I'm guessing that caps for a 320i may be different also. Make sure you've gotten caps for the correct year 320i would be my suggestion.

Bob Napier

Don't hammer them on-

deform the part of the cap that slides into the hub so that they bind up

well. (I grabbed it with needlenose pliers and twisted)

This also makes a bit of a path for air to escape.

I had a set of wheels that I filled the front centers on to hold the caps in-

and then blew grease out of the seals!

That was when I figured it was at least partially due to air pressure.

When I went to tii sized stuff, I stopped having that problem so much.

Now the E30 does it...

t

If all else fails, you could drill/tap/set screw the edge of the grease cap to the hub. ................................. but you'd never worry about 'em again.

mac.

I would guess so. I just recall him taking loose ones to the vice with a center punch to make them tighter.

Todd

We used to insert WD40 straws under the clamps on CV boots to allow race car axles to breathe...maybe a similar small (tiny!) vent in the cap?

We used to insert WD40 straws under the clamps on CV boots to allow race car axles to breathe...maybe a similar small (tiny!) vent in the cap?

Now that is a new one on me. Don't think I've ever heard of venting axles and CV joints.