alijzari

1972 BMW 2002 Stereo Set Up?

15 posts / 4891 viewsLast Reply

Hey does anyone have any kind of experience with what kind of speakers can fit in the front doors? I have a 72 E10 and I am not sure any speakers fit in there, what kind of speakers fit in the back and what kind of head unit do you guys think I should get?

Rather than cutting into the door panels you might want to consider using pods in the front. There are some commercially available and can usually support a pair of separates with a 1" tweeter and 6 inch woofer. The rear deck can support a 5" woofer and you can either use a co-axial set up and or separates.

Check out the below link of what I did with my M2.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103486278519474504942/albums/5103864943181647441

Instead buy or make some surface mounts to fit on the cowl sides (outer sides of the front footwell). You can easily fit 5" speakers under there--just fit the driver's side first so it'll clear the hood release, then fit the passenger side to match.

For the rear, I used some vintage Blaupunkt surface mount 4x6 speaker enclosures with modern 4x6 coax speakers. Looks period and sounds very good--that is you can hear 'em over the engine and wind noise at highway speeds!

mike

What about the rear where the ash trays are? I already have 4 inch speakers in my door with huge grills. I want to replace those with 4x6

A lot will depend on what you choose for a head unit. If you are going to run an amplifier, definitely choose separates for the front. I agree with the others, do not cut your door panels. Put them in the kick panels.

The rear can hold large speakers and you can always add a sub in the trunk if you want some more low end.

I run separates in the front with custom tweeter mounts mounted just below the dash. In the rear, I have a single 8" free air sub and two 6 1/2" drivers mounted in a custom MDF rear deck. The system is powered by three separate amps and electronic crossovers.

I have an Alpine head unit and mostly use an Ipod through the head unit.

This is my 5th different system and by far the best one I have done. It has been in the car for more than 10 years and has been updated as needed over that time.

Many others have put speakers in in the panel below the back seat or in the rear side panels with success. Some have also put speakers on the center console facing into the foot wells. Whatever you do, make sure your speakers match the power you are driving the system with, be it a high power head unit or amplifiers. You will enjoy it more and it will sound better for a longer time.

Rather than cutting into the door panels you might want to consider using pods in the front. There are some commercially available and can usually support a pair of separates with a 1" tweeter and 6 inch woofer. The rear deck can support a 5" woofer and you can either use a co-axial set up and or separates.

Check out the below link of what I did with my M2.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103486278519474504942/albums/5103864943181647441

Your setup looks insane I also got my 02 repainted in Charmonix and I am doing a blue interior I own a stereo shop and an online stereo shop I was not aware of any kick panels that I can buy to put in the footwells does anyone have a link?

Look in the PARTS FOR SALE section on this site, fourth STICKY down.

kickpanelpassengerside.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

I can see Bill has some taste for high end car audio are those 6.5 component Diamond Audio that I see?

I haven't taken many photos of my setup, but I really like the way it turned out.

I wanted a setup that would not require a head unit (nothing to steal), and would connect directly to my iPhone as well as charge it. I have changed it a few times but I think what I have now works the best.

I got the Apple composite AV cable, plugged into a wired cigarette lighter usb adapter (that is powered on via toggle switch). I have the RCA lines plugged into a 4 band equalizer which has a separate sub out. From there it goes RCA to two amps. One that powers the sub (mono), the other that powers the 6 speakers (4 channel, 1000w). It can definitely bump.

I have the two 6" in the front kicker panel (had to cut out some metal with a dremel to get them to fit, and eventually I'll need to make some sort of carpet cover for them), two 6x9's under the rear seat (doesn't sound as good from there as I was hoping) and two 6" on the back parcel tray (though I ended up sandwiching them between some wood and have a piece of fiberboard that covers them so they sound a bit muffled. I need to drill some holes and cover it with fabric to finish it off).

I'll try and get some more photos of the setup soon.

534062_3272090125431_1785372208_n.jpg

Yep Diamonds they are. Two JL 8" dual cone subs and and Extant amplifier. Two 6x9 in the rear too,

The shame of it, I rarely turn it on. I installed that when the boys were driving the car

On 9/15/2012 at 5:13 PM, Mike87 said:

A lot will depend on what you choose for a head unit. If you are going to run an amplifier, definitely choose separates for the front. I agree with the others, do not cut your door panels. Put them in the kick panels.

The rear can hold large speakers and you can always add a sub in the trunk if you want some more low end.

I run separates in the front with custom tweeter mounts mounted just below the dash. In the rear, I have a single 8" free air sub and two 6 1/2" drivers mounted in a custom MDF rear deck. The system is powered by three separate amps and electronic crossovers.

I have an Alpine head unit and mostly use an Ipod through the head unit.

This is my 5th different system and by far the best one I have done. It has been in the car for more than 10 years and has been updated as needed over that time.

Many others have put speakers in in the panel below the back seat or in the rear side panels with success. Some have also put speakers on the center console facing into the foot wells. Whatever you do, make sure your speakers match the power you are driving the system with, be it a high power head unit or amplifiers. You will enjoy it more and it will sound better for a longer time.

Hi Mike - definitely sounds like you know what you are doing. If I have a factory alternator and two holes already cut out in the back rear deck for 6x9's what do you suggest for soundsystem? I was hoping to get two tweeters in front under the dash and something in the back deck. Any help would be great and any suggestions for products would also be wonderful - I'm fairly knew to this but definitely can appreciate some good sound. 

From my (very) limited "sound engineering" experience, experts may chime in, pay attention to what they say!

Tweeters:  

Tweeters under the dash would be mostly wasted.  The higher you go in audio frequency, the more directional a speaker's output becomes.  Basically, if you can't see tweeters, you won't hear 'em as they are intended to sound. 

More power thru a hidden tweeter may help but not much.  The frequency spectrum that makes it to your ears will be different from what the speaker is generating.  Little tweeters sitting on top of the dash or in the front dashboard trays would be much more effective.  

Since tweeters are the smallest of speakers, they also tend to have lower power ratings.  In order to use separate tweeters effectively, you need crossovers to separate the low frequencies from the high frequencies and only send the highs to the tweeters, or, as some indicate risk overpowering and smoking them.  This is the opposite of a subwoofer amplifier, which eliminates higher frequencies before amplifying them.  I'm not tuned in to high end systems with multiple amplifiers and electronic crossovers and.... so others will have to comment about those.

• Like 1

(edited)

Yep - tweeters angled & in view, with crossover circuits and component speakers enclosed in the footwells (see old pic) works nicely upfront for an old-school 4-way stereo setup

I’m going on 15 years now with this install. I paired the front boxes with matched 6x9s that are wedge-mounted in the parcel shelf.  Centered by a 4-channel console-mounted headunit with Aux-in/USB, all running through a bog ‘ol external power amp mounted under the front seat.

Importantly for me, it’s great quiet as well as loud and clear enough to win over the sidedraughts roar... 

Get proven name-brand hardware, that matches up well together. Use quality wiring & connections, and make sure your alternator’s capable. And nothing shakes and rattles that shouldn’t. Then rock (and roll) on...

Tom-too

large.My02-Console_CustomSpeakerboxes.jp

Edited by visionaut

On 10/7/2020 at 10:19 PM, ML234 said:

Hi Mike - definitely sounds like you know what you are doing. If I have a factory alternator and two holes already cut out in the back rear deck for 6x9's what do you suggest for soundsystem? I was hoping to get two tweeters in front under the dash and something in the back deck. Any help would be great and any suggestions for products would also be wonderful - I'm fairly knew to this but definitely can appreciate some good sound. 

With a factory alternator, a high power head unit and four speakers will suit your needs. You can get 'pods' to mount them on the kick panels or just use low profile ones and mount them in the kick panels. If they are too deep, you will need spacers. Put a pair of 6 x 9s in the rear if you like. You might be able to get some 5 1/4" round ones for the front. Just be sure to go into the store with a budget. 

Good luck,

Mike

DSCN8612.JPG

DSCN8611.JPG

• Like 1