tisalover

Need help, oversize piston recommendations 2002 Turbo?

11 posts / 729 viewsLast Reply

The turbo suffered a blown head gasket, was parked and #3 cylinder rusted from years of sitting with coolant in it. The block will need overboring. Please help with suggestions for best piston and ring -turbo parts source. I am getting the Kugelfisher rebuilt. ? any good place to get the KKK turbo rebuilt if it needs it? Is there a TURBO obsessed FAQ member on the Faq who has gone through this that I could talk to for a little guidance. sincerely, Peter

post-19203-13667664440412_thumb.jpg

post-19203-13667664442543_thumb.jpg

I don't have your answer, but I'm certain Turbo pistons are darned hard to come by.

Is this a numbers-matching motor? Especially if so, but even if not, perhaps sleeving one or more cylinders would allow you to consider a wider selection of piston diameters. I wouldn't let excessive damage in one cylinder dictate the overbore size. Depending on the other cylinders, maybe you could fit something closer to standard size. Is sleeving an optimal solution? Perhaps not, but it might solve a problem.

Good luck. It looks like a great car!

Steve

If it sat for years with water in a cylinder, you can just about plan on a sleeving job if the block is to be salvaged. Pits in cast iron from water will run deep and may not clean up at max overbore.

I'd call Steve at Top End Performance. He's forgotten more than most will learn about these motors and has done many turbos. I'm certain he can have pistons made. I've known him for 13 years and he's always been a wealth of knowledge. Good luck!

If all else fails, email me.

click the email tab above.

mac.

0.5mm oversized pistons are still available from BMW, complete with rings. 11 25 1 261 935, lists for a shade over $200 each.

If the rusted cylinder is bad enough, you'll probably need to sleeve that hole. No big deal, there's enough room in most of these blocks to do that, just make sure you use a competent machine shop.

I am getting the Kugelfisher rebuilt. ? any good place to get the KKK turbo rebuilt if it needs it?

If still in need of rebuilders:

Ask for Hans: This is the premier NA rebuilder of turbo pumps.

H & R Fuel Injection Ltd

(631) 589-1600 360 Knickerbocker Ave Ste 12, Bohemia, NY

Turbo Power: Used them myself as well as written about by Corky Bell.

4301-B Product Drive

Cameron Park, CA 95682 Phone:

1-800-TURBO4U

1-800-887-2648

Awesome help- thanks guys. I had sleeved moto guzzi motors in the past but hadnt thought of it for this. The still available Piston data is great-if .5 mm will do it / ie not too much rust through. It is a numbers matching car- I thought about a crate motor-which would have been easiest. Thanks for KKK rebuild rec as well. very sincerely, Peter

Don't give up your original motor! I've heard of older and rarer, and perhaps even more valuable cars, where they've sleeved all cylinders! If it's done right, it works.

Good luck!

Steve

Also, it's worth talking to Byron-

Preyupy on this board.

t

Also, it's worth talking to Byron-

Preyupy on this board.

t

That right there would be an understatement. What's the saying? "Ask the man that owns one."