dlhoovler

5-speed Conversion Tip

1 post / 430 viewsLast Reply

When I did my 5-speed conversion a few years ago, I wanted to keep my original upper shift lever (it's chrome and accepts the thread-on shift knob my wife gave me for our first anniversary) but use a later lower shift lever (to use the easier-to-shorten shift rod). Didn't seem like a problem, but the early and late '02 shifters are a bit different--the later lower lever is longer than the early one.

I didn't notice that at the time and just forced it together, but the length difference meant that the circlip holding the two halves together didn't quite go in its groove. A few years later, the circlip dropped out and the upper shift lever got progressively looser before coming off in my hand.

I attempted a few solutions, but to shorten this novel, the best fix is to trim 9mm off the top of the late lower shift lever--I used a Dremel--then assemble with new bushings for the early-style lever.

And in the process of fixing it tonight, I tracked down an annoying rattle--the washer just above the circlip that holds the two halves together was buzzing on the inside (lower) lever. A layer of electrical tape has it quiet again, at least for a while.

Dunno if this will help anyone else, but I'd not seen mention before of what's needed to put the two types of lever together.

-Dave