rtheriaque

Sync-Link- a carb idiot and his perspective

10 posts / 723 viewsLast Reply

So... I've been working on vehicles my entire life. I've become fairly proficient. I can replace the turbos on a 2.7L Audi Biturbo S4. I've replaced the 2.7 head on my 325e with a better flowing 2.5i I've beheaded from a donor. The difference for me is... Most of the vehicles in my lifetime have been fuel injected. I'm a carb idiot- they're black magic boxes that I haven't mastered. They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them to my limited mechanical ability.

So, when I was given the opportunity to replace my sequential 32/36 with something that might provide more grunt, I jumped.

Then looked at the bag of parts for almost 18 months.

I finally took the plunge tonight. Before starting, I had driven the car home from work and retuned the carb (to the best of my marginal ability). She was running the best she would be, and I was about to screw it up. Epically. So I figured.

The worst part of the job? Not realizing the nose of the car was in interference range with the garage door and putting a good ding in the hood. Dammit.

So... Why the hell didn't I do this when I received the parts so long ago? Other than an awful welding job on one component (the Sync-Link has an "arm" that's welded to a "keyed washer" (again, I apologize for my lack of carb language) that was done by an utter amateur (or drunk master) that prevented it from fitting on its shaft), the parts fell onto the carb without my interference (or incompetence). I fired the car back up and it started instantly. Then idled at 2400 RPM. Oops. I adjusted things back down, then went for a drive.

Question to the law enforcemently-minded among you... Will the tire marks leaving my driveway be admissible in a court of law?

Good freaking lord. The low-end in the car is just beyond anything I'd expect out of a car this age, in this state of repair. The difference is utterly staggering. I can't articulate this. My S4 puts out nearly 3 2002's worth of torque. Once the turbos, kick in it does, anyway. It doesn't sound like much, but I swear the 2002 now pulls harder to 20. Maybe 25. Assuming the wheels hook up. Most of the time they just scream their disdain for my heavy right foot, their relatively narrow width, and the abhorrent pieces of stamped steel I just bolted to the carb. It's the first time they've ever complained about anything right-foot related and not steering wheel linked.

Now, I have no idea what my jets are. If you tell me how to tell you, I will. I've read things about dead spots and problems with an initial Sync-Link installation. I've experienced none of them. Ask me whatever questions you want and I'll answer them as well as I can. If I can't answer them, I'll ask for information on how I can get you what you need. Regardless, I can't recommend this highly enough. The car has gone from a fun little cruiser to a fun little cruiser with an awful, horrible secret.

Thanks, Pierce.

Guest Anonymous

It could not have been stated any better...Amen

ira

I was talking with Jason P late last week about this setup, didn't know about it till then, and went ahead and pulled the trigger and got one in from Pierce.

Install is straight forward, hardest part is taking off the choke circlip and not loosing it in the process. I think the kits a little pricey for what you get, but it seems to be well fab'd and came with a good instruction schematic.

If you're looking for an easy performance upgrade, this is it. Getting really good revs up to redline, much quicker than with the stock progressive setup. I've got to do a little tuning on the jets, but it's totally increased low-end response. I wish I'd known about this sooner. Anyone with a stock 32/36 should consider this upgrade, even if you don't know much about carbs. It's pretty easy to do and takes less than an hour. For newbies, I'd recommend taking the carb off the intake manifold so you have more room to work and check for leaks, jet size, etc.

Haven't plugged up the secondary fuel bush like CD recommends, that'll be part of this weeks turning process.

Thanks for the heads up on this Jason P.

I was talking with Jason P late last week about this setup, didn't know about it till then, and went ahead and pulled the trigger and got one in from Pierce.

Install is straight...Jason P.

I'm right behind you. Any further insight will be appreciated.

They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them

Genius.

I am going to quote this in a signature if you don't mind.

Back on topic: so what are the downsides? The sync link is not new and I know a few folks have tried it before. It is starting to sound like the holy grail but I checked out the price ($60 odd some AUD) for a few stamped steel bits and a 'double pumper' throttle pump nozzle. Maybe that is just Australian prices but that seems like big biccies for what it is. Given the popularity of the 32/36, why isn't everyone running one?

Well, it certainly hurts fuel consumption. It's expensive for what it is in terms of parts count, but considering the cost/benefit of many performance upgrades out there it's certainly the biggest bang for the buck I've ever encountered.

Also, not messing with the smelly thing on top if it isn't broken is usually a good practice.

Ditto on the fuel consumption. I drive quite a bit so I'm sensitive to fuel burn. Was getting 25 mpg on the stock 32/36, I'm expecting around 20+/- now.

For me, it's a poor man's 38/38 using stock components.