deanres

Restoring a 1974 Turn Signal Indicator Lights

5 posts / 568 viewsLast Reply

I am in the process of restoring a 1974 2002. It had been in storage for almost 25 years when I purchased it. It has no rust a total of about 44,000 miles on it and overall is in quite good condition. Can anyone point me in the correct direction to find the left and right turn signal indicator lights? 63131353861 and 63131353862 I believe are the correct part numbers. New ones seem incredibly expensive around $150.00 each. The outsides of mine are fine, The internals after sitting so long are corroded to the point that I can just make them work, but they will not remain that way with any driving. This board has been great and Etsy was a great source for my new carpet!

Supposing you can't clean up the corrosion with your dremel, a little steel wool, and naval jelly, I would be tempted to rebuild them with some parts from Advance Auto.... a little solder, a little inspiration, who knows?

You can try the "Parts Wanted" section. I've gotten a lot of help there.

Cheers

Michael

73 tii

I have very gently used steel wool manually because everything is so fragile in there I have the feeling it will all turn to dust in my hands. The rear side lights are perfect, well as perfect as almost 40 year old parts get, but it seems like the front must of taken their share of abuse.

The following presumes the problem is with the bulb sockets, and the bracket that holds the sockets isn't all rusted through. If that's the case...

Carefully either unsolder or grind out the existing light sockets from the L-shaped bracket on the back side of the lens, then go to your local auto parts store and buy a bulb socket for a two filament (parking light/turnsignal) bulb. An 1157 bulb, I think.

If the socket is plastic or if it's metal and you epoxy it in place, you'll have to rig a ground wire from the socket to the supporting frame. Then pair up the two leads from the new socket to the two existing wires--the dim filament is parking, the bright one, turn signal. I'd solder a two prong connector to both the socket pigtails and the wiring harness to prevent corrosion.

Not a difficult job, and a lot cheaper than two new turn signals!

cheers,

mike

How about converting to led's? Kits available at classicautoleds.com.