Stevenc22

Just bought my 2002, got some general questions

7 posts / 672 viewsLast Reply

I just bought my 1976 BMW 2002 today. Already started buying recaro seats and other goodies.

Few general questions I have.

My car has the front bumper with the black accordion trim on the side. I have seen pictures where the bumpers are all chrome down the side. Is that an earlier style bumper? Is there somewhere to buy different style bumpers?

Car may be burning oil, so i'm thinking of pulling the head, getting the valves rebuilt/ head surfaced and doing the head gasket at the same time. Any thing I should know before I jump in?

How solid is the carb? Just do a rebuild or is replacing the carb completely common?

Sorry if the questions seem odd, i'm jumping into a project and still trying to figure out what direction i'm heading.

Thanks

Steven

1.) My car has the front bumper with the black

accordion trim on the side. I have seen

pictures where the bumpers are all chrome

down the side. Is that an earlier style bumper?

= YES "small bumper conversion - runs $500 - $1200 depending on condition and who is selling - from pre 1974 cars

Is there somewhere to buy different style bumpers?

= by "different tyle" do you mean from another

make car? no - only BMW bumperswill do.

2.) Car may be burning oil, so i'm thinking of

pulling the head, getting the valves rebuilt/ head

surfaced and doing the head gasket at the

same time. Any thing I should know

before I jump in?

= STOP! just change the motor oil and

filter, use 20w/50 oil, drive 250 miles and change it

again - yes change the filter also. Now report back

with your findings after thesecond 250 mile drive

3.) How solid is the carb? Just do a rebuild or is

replacing the carb completely common?

= A clean carb Aways works better than a dirty carb

... and everyting else properly adjusted first.

Valve adjust, ignition timing, goodeven compression readings.

4.) Sorry if the questions seem odd, i'm jumping

into a project and still trying to figure

out what direction i'm heading.

= you can't make chicken soup

from chicken sheit! - first have another expert in

these cars look at the car for a through evaluation

and help you write a priorty list of repairs

to make. THEN proceed. If your not going to seek

out expert advice! then the min is for you to

purchase an Owner's handbook and repair manual

and READ both before you touch anything!

Welcome Aboard mate

Welcome aboard! You're going to have more fun than you ever imagined.

Step 1: familiarize yourself with the Forum Search function in the upper right of the screen. It's a bit clumsy, but as long as you click on the "Search for all words" button, you'll get decent results. Truck loads of results.

Everything you've asked can and will be answered in full detail if you use a combination of searches and questions here on the board. Just beware of scope creep. If you're not careful, you'll be replacing the cam, adding dual side drafts, modifying the suspension, then swapping motors altogether, installing a 5-speed trans, and 2 years from now you still won't have driven the car. I did this, and more, and it's a terrible mistake. The stock 2002 is amazing, so do the bare minimum at first, spend some time in and around other 2002s in your area, THEN come up with a maintenance and mod plan. You'll save yourself untold time and money.

The original carb was a Solex. The common replacements have generally been Weber 32/36 and Weber 38/38. Your best course of action regarding the carb depends on which carb you have. But as CD points out, check the carbs for cleanliness before considering swapping or rebuilding.

In addition to William's tip above it's sometimes easier to use the Site Search function (in the upper, right corner of each page) than the Forum Search. The Site Search is a little more user-friendly.

I would also recommend spending around $20-25 on a Haynes Manual for the BMW 1602-2002 MANUAL. It can help you a bunch. The factory Repair Manual tells you to do something, assuming as a Master Mechanic, you know how. The Haynes gives procedures and tips that help those of us who are not Master BMW Mechanics.

Welcome to the Madness.

Bob Napier

Thanks for all the responses. Don't worry i have read most pages on 2002FAQ. I'm going to follow c.d.iesel advise and run some clean oil through for a few hundred miles and see where we end up.

Have an oil leak from the valve cover gasket, so ill do that gasket, check valve lash and see how things go from there.

Thanks again

Steven

PS. I'm in Houston

as fas as i'm concerned , and it's not very far I can assure you, EVERY new 2002 owner should go buy the Mike Macarthney book " The BMW 2002, a comprehensive guide to the classic sporting saloon" It will answer many of the questions you have asked, and many more that you are sure to wanna ask later... welcome to the club (asylum).