Guest Anonymous

Starter wiring

3 posts / 551 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I've done an EFI swap on my '76 02, have everything wired up correctly (I assume, just followed directions) and when I try to start it with the S14 start it things aren't going to well.

The starter turns over the engine with quite a bit of pep with the controller disconnected, but when I try to turn it over with the starter connected the engine burps, pops, and that's about it. During these brief moments, the battery voltage drops quite severely and RPMs also drop.

After thinking about it for some time, is there any way the starter is turning the engine over backwards? It doesn't seem like that would happen, but it might explain the sudden drop in RPMs when the engine does briefly come to life.

Is there anything I might be overlooking? I have fuel pressure and spark.

Thanks '02ers!

No, the starter will not turn the engine over backwards.

Sounds like you have too much ignition advance or the plugs are incorrectly connected.

Which wires do you have connected to the starter? The e30m3 starter only needs 2 wires connected to it (vs the 3 used for the 02 starter). Obviously you have to connect the ground wire. Then you plug the double wire connecter (2 wires in series) to the bottom terminal (when the starter is installed in the car). The top terminal is left open, and that 3rd wire is left disconnected.

I just had this problem and it sounds like it is the same thing.