littlehandegan

What would you pay for this 76 TII??

11 posts / 750 viewsLast Reply

Hi,

Still lots of variables there - engine still relatively fresh? transmission have life in it?

Assuming that it runs and drives relatively well, I'd say it's a VERY fair price for the car. I can only go by what I would spend, and no rust is huge. Everything else is relatively speaking "bolt-on" and expected in a 40 year old car that isn't a daily driver. Heck, it may have some go-fast stuff on it already.

As Mike Dubois would say - go for a drive in it, and if it makes you smile, buy it!

My 2 cents...

~Jason

Guest Anonymous

I like the fact that the car doesn't look like it has been jacked around with. I am going to suggest that "no" rust is a lie (lie is too strong, how about isn't correct....). There is some somewhere on that car, it may be minor but there is something somewhere. If the motor is strong and the rest of the mechanicals are good that is a fair price I think. If any part of the motor, mechanicals etc., aren't so good in my mind its a $3-4k car tops. Have seen a number of cars recently advertised here and other places in the $8-9k range, one or two on Ebay for more that don't at least from the outside look better than this car. Tii's are fun for sure, I loved both of mine when I had them. Good luck.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

need underhood photos

need inside trunk photos

& with spare and floor board removed

NEED THE VIN AND MOTOR NUMBERS before

any more silly value guessing

Guest Anonymous
need underhood photos

need inside trunk photos

Soooo, Jason and I are silly? Rreally....aha

www.alpinabmw2002.com

need underhood photos

need inside trunk photos

Soooo, Jason and I are silly? Rreally....aha

www.alpinabmw2002.com

No, just trusting!

It's just too easy to pick up a 2002 Tii emblem at a wrecker and slap it on the trunk.

You really have to find out if it is all original and came off the assembly line as a Tii. Most collectors want the original engine so if the short block was swapped out and numbers don't match...

More then a few people have pulled a fast one: Get a solid 2002 and transfer parts from a Tii that was wrecked or rusted out, then sell it as a Tii.

You can't turn a base 2002 into a Tii with just FI and a few decals. Goes much deeper then that, right down to the chassis. Any modifications or replacements to a real Tii reduce the value.

Agreed - ensuring it's a true Tii is step #1 for sure.

If it's a real Tii and has limited rust on original sheetmetal (not a "just restored" bondo buggy), and drives decent then it's worth the money. Inevitably you will need to go through it just like any old car and that takes time and money for sure - no free lunch.

More photos, history, driving experience, etc. would help narrow it all down.

~Jason

Well it has a tii vin, and the clock.

Going to get inspected by a Euro Garage in the guys area....we shall see.

Anything particular to get them to check out?

I know the rust areas, the electricas, and compression test

same old same old- Where You At?

That makes a huge difference.

Here, that seems a bit high, as in, I'd want a nice motor, limited slip,

lots of records, trusted seller, or something more than what those pix show.

In the middle of Ohio, that's a very fair price if it still has floorboards.

t

Just for reference-

In Feb 2011, I bought a 74 Tii for $5500.

Suspension was rough but engine was strong (minor oil leaks and no oil burning or white smoke). Interior was really great, but the body had a bad repaint job. Pretty minimal rust in typical places (passenger foot well and battery tray).

I felt very confident in the car when I first bought it. But I have had to do a lot since.

I've since replaced the diff, drive shaft, clutch master and slave cylinders, all suspension bushings, springs, rebuilt the heater box, rebuilt the steering box, replaced radiator hoses, thermo and all the K pump and throttle body linkages.

And my brake master cylinder just died.

I still think I got a decent deal when I bought the car. It was an original California car and was completely unmolested except for some 320i seats.

This car you have posted resembles mine a lot. It will probably need a lot of work to become a reliable car. But it looks like a great unmolested canvas to start from.

Just for reference-

In Feb 2011, I bought a 74 Tii for $5500.

Suspension was rough but engine was strong (minor oil leaks and no oil burning or white smoke). Interior was really great, but the body had a bad repaint job. Pretty minimal rust in typical places (passenger foot well and battery tray).

I felt very confident in the car when I first bought it. But I have had to do a lot since.

I've since replaced the diff, drive shaft, clutch master and slave cylinders, all suspension bushings, springs, rebuilt the heater box, rebuilt the steering box, replaced radiator hoses, thermo and all the K pump and throttle body linkages.

And my brake master cylinder just died.

I still think I got a decent deal when I bought the car. It was an original California car and was completely unmolested except for some 320i seats.

This car you have posted resembles mine a lot. It will probably need a lot of work to become a reliable car. But it looks like a great unmolested canvas to start from.

Typical 38-year-old car symptoms...