• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

002 vs 071 for distributor rebuild

mike472

I want to send one of these distributors to Advance to recurve and recondition. The 002 is from a 76 and has ports on the dizzy for advance and what looks to be retard on the other side of the distributor advance capsule. The 071 is on the car now and I would prefer sending the 002 if there is no difference. Jeff would be recurving either one anyway. Unless there is some other advantage to one over the other that I'm missing.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

From what I know, any dizzy can have any curve. So you could send out your vac advance retard dizzy and make it into an 002 or whatever you may want need. A 32/36 does well with a vac advance distributer. DCOE's need a centrifugal advance only as they don't have a vac port. The idea is max advance by 3000. Not to advance too early. This is done with different springs and weights.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

(nt)Thanks John,

I was pretty sure that was the case. This is the 76 dizzy with the port on either side of the vacuum advance mechanism. Do you block the inner one when using just the outside port? I was going to have Jeff mount a Pertronix in it while I was at it and keep the one on the car(071) as a spare. The number on this one is 0 231 142 002 with JFUR underneath the numbers.

post-70-1366766437917_thumb.jpg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

I believe the outer port is for vacuum advance and the inner port is for vacuum retard. If the diaphragm is still good, hook up a hand vacuum pump (MityVac) and watch the action of the tabs and points plate when connected to individual ports.

If you have (2) distributors to spare, send both to Jeff and call him. Even though his specialty is British cars, he seems to do wonders with the 2002 units. My car runs much better with an original re-curved unit.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Do you want to actually use the vac function of this dizzy? It would have to be tested to know what to do with it. I think the vac retard was an emitions function. If thats they case you could set it set up to use vac advance (tell the guy setting up the distributer that) and just run the vac retard hose to vent(somewhere not seen) for the stealth look.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Thanks Jim and John,

I would like to use the Vacuum advance with this one as I have a 32/36 Weber on this car. I only have this 002 off the car right now. I wanted to avoid taking the Pertronix out of the 071 distributor and then having to set it up again in the 002 to keep my car on the road while the dizzy is being rebuilt.

The 071 is on the car and it runs quite well but it still has a little stumble that I think could be ignition related. My preference would be to send the 002 to get redone and keep the 071 as a spare if it didn't make any difference to Jeff. I'll probably end up sending him that one too when I get it off the car. I'm going to give him a call today and find out straight from the horse's mouth.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318