Guest Anonymous

Seeking Info re: 4.11 Long Neck Diff

16 posts / 2475 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hey NK Folks, I have lived with the whirring, propeller noise from my diff since I bought the '67 2000A 15 months ago. (It now runs well otherwise.) I got a second opinion from a competent mechanic today and he confirmed, "bearings, ring and pinion wear." I called Metric Mechanic and was informed that the early BMW long neck diffs are very diificult, if not impossible, to rebuild and they recommended conversion to a 2002 subplatform and to a short neck, a transformation I'd prefer to avoid, if possible.

So the questions are, can this diff be rebuilt, and if so, who can you recommend? Second, any suggestions where to get lower mileage 4:11, (quiet) long neck differential? Thanks in advance.

Roger

'67 NK 2000A, Florida

'72 2002, Malaga

My Uncle Barry McMillen probably has a few spare long neck diff, which would bolt right in. -Mcmil, ie Neil may be able to get in touch with him faster. I wouldn't pony up for a rebuild just yet. Email me your contact info and I will send it to Barry. sincerely, Peter

If you send me an email via the link above, I'll provide you with contact info for a guy who has a few long neck diffs in his collection.

I am assuming it might be in here? More not in this photo.

IMG_7421.jpg

Guest Anonymous

William, Peter and Jim, Thanks for your suggestions. For reasons that are just too difficult to explain, I was not able to successfully change my user name to Albany02 years ago and therefore cannot return your message through the FAQ. I would therefore appreciate if you would email me at [email protected] so we can continue this search for a replacement diff. Thanks so much. Peter, I have Neil's email address.

Roger Benson

There are a few still out there that can rebuild the long neck diffs.

In Southern Cal there's Robert in't Hout. He can even build one with the Limited Slip unit from a 329i diff....

I didn't know a 2002 subframe was a direct swap into an NK...

It's not - a coupe back end is and '67 NK's and 2000s would have come with a mix of side loader and long neck diffs - pretty sure this was the changeover year. If you get no where with a replacement long neck then find a complete rear subframe from an NK or 2000 coupe with the side loader diff - they're indestructible with an m10 so doubt you'd ever have to rebuild that one and it's factory correct as much as your current set-up.

Cheers, Nick

If you send me an email via the link above, I'll provide you with contact info for a guy who has a few long neck diffs in his collection.

I am assuming it might be in here? More not in this photo.

Yep, that's the "collection". Due to the peculiarities of the collector, I've emailed Roger off the board, providing him with the collector's contact information.

I have a couple of 4.10:1 long necks laying around. Plus I rebuild them in my race car. I am on the West coast. G

Guest Anonymous

gracer,

please email me. I am very interested. Thx.

Roger

Of course you are still running a long neck in your race car Gordon, some of us are Techno Weenies and some of us are Retro Grouches. I think you and I fall in the later catagory.

Of course you are still running a long neck in your race car Gordon, some of us are Techno Weenies and some of us are Retro Grouches. I think you and I fall in the later category.

+1 ;)