• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

School me on Seat Belts

GnomeChild

New to 2002 but not classic BMWs. Obviously, there's always those classic years that came better equipped with cool stuff than the other years did

My main thing is the seat belts.

Which year had the best ones?

For the most part from my research, I read that 73+ had the best ones (but then you have to deal with squares minus that one year). 72 actually HAD seatbelts, and beyond that my knowledge is scarce (I know early models didn't even have seatbelts or had ones that aren't even good)

Any more information from the 02 brainiacs would be appreciated!

Yes; the modern style retracting seatbelts.

I'd rather not like to try and retrofit a safety feature to a car, as; since it was not integrated to begin with and anytime it could fail, I wouldn't want to lay my life on the line for one weld.

Just wondering what years came with factory with three point harnesses.

In my research; I've read that 73+ came with them (thus I'm basing my 2002 search on that), but correct me if I'm wrong

New to 2002 but not classic BMWs. Obviously, there's always those classic years that came better equipped with cool stuff than the other years did

For the most part from my research, I read that 73+ had the best ones (but then you have to deal with squares minus that one year). 72 actually HAD seatbelts, and beyond that my knowledge is scarce (I know early models didn't even have seatbelts or had ones that aren't even good)

You've come to the right place.

Keep an eye on the Parts For Sale section for seatbelts from Al ("Bluedevils" on this forum): http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,369125/highlight,/

Al uses new retractors and makes really nice, perfectly functioning seatbelt sets for any year. I'm sure that he'll chime in here soon.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

I think 1969 was the year that US federal law required 3-point seatbelts and headrests in the front of all new cars. Until at least the Modell-71 changeover in early calendar-year 1971, the three-point belts were non-retracting, with the shoulder mount under the rear quarter window. Most of these used Klippan-brand belts with a chrome steel loop on the center tunnel that the claw-type latch clipped to. The shoulder and lap portions adjusted separately. These early belts certainly held a person securely in the seat when adjusted properly, but they were a pain to get adjusted and permitted no freedom of movement. They were at one point described by Car and Driver as "user-hostile"; my father agreed and replaced them with lap belts shortly after buying our 2002 new.

It is possible to retrofit retractable belts into these early cars without welding by drilling a hole to mount the reel with fender washers and a nut on either the riser panel under the front of the rear seat or under the seat on the inner rocker panel. I have done the fomer on our early '71, but I think the geometry of the latter is better and plan to switch mounting styles sometime. There are a couple of good writeups on here that can be found through a site search.

Later cars, perhaps from the Modell-71 change onward, added a factory mounting point on the B-pillar and used various brands of retractable belts (mostly Repa and Autoflug). I'm not sure, though, exactly when this switch occurred. I do know that 1973 models I have seen had the later style.

-Dave

[EDIT]

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Hmm.. I guess I would just have to wait for Al

How would these bolt into the frame? I am under the assumption that 2002s were never designed with seatbelts but were only integrated into 2002s in the early 70s, and so early years won't have seatbelt mounts, correct?

Once again, this is all personal assumption based on research of scarce 2002 data on the web for such an obscure topic. Open to correction if I'm incorrect :)

I think 1969 was the year that US federal law required 3-point seatbelts and headrests in the front of all new cars. Until at least the Modell-71 changeover in early calendar-year 1971, the three-point belts were non-retracting, with the shoulder mount under the rear quarter window. Most of these used Klippan-brand belts with a chrome steel loop on the center tunnel that the claw-type latch clipped to. The shoulder and lap portions adjusted separately. These early belts certainly held a person securely in the seat when adjusted properly, but they were a pain to get adjusted and permitted no freedom of movement. They were at one point described by Car and Driver as "user-hostile"; my father agreed and replaced them with lap belts shortly after buying our 2002 new.

It is possible to retrofit retractable belts into these early cars without welding by drilling a hole to mount the reel with fender washers and a nut on either the riser panel under the front of the rear seat or under the seat on the inner rocker panel. I have done the fomer on our early '71, but I think the geometry of the latter is better and plan to switch mounting styles sometime. There are a couple of good writeups on here that can be found through a site search.

Later cars, perhaps from the Modell-71 change onward, added a factory mounting point on the B-pillar and used various brands of retractable belts (mostly Repa and Autoflug). I'm not sure, though, exactly when this switch occurred. I do know that 1973 models I have seen had the later style.

-Dave

[EDIT]

PERFECT

Exactly what I was looking for :)

So then essentially, any seatbelt year 2002 can be equipped with the later style retractable belts?

So then essentially, any seatbelt year 2002 can be equipped with the later style retractable belts?

I BELIEVE all 2002s had at least the threaded boss beside the rear seat, but it's possible that some very early 1600s didn't. I think shoulder belts were at least an option from the start, though, so I'd bet that all had it.

I feel as though the later models with the mounting point on the B-pillar are safer due to keeping the mount above shoulder level, but considering how thin the pillars are, I don't know if that's true. Plenty of current coupes and (especially) convertibles have the shoulder mount in a similar location to that on early 2002s.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Yes; the modern style retracting seatbelts.

I'd rather not like to try and retrofit a safety feature to a car, as; since it was not integrated to begin with and anytime it could fail, I wouldn't want to lay my life on the line for one weld.

Just wondering what years came with factory with three point harnesses.

In my research; I've read that 73+ came with them (thus I'm basing my 2002 search on that), but correct me if I'm wrong

my 71 came with non-retracting belts and I modified it to work with modern tractable seatbelts from Al (bluedevils). they require one new hole to.be drilled under the rear seat but besides that, they work great. I was even recently hit and the seatbelts worked just as they ahould.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Hmm...

It seems like this is all doable then on the middle years. It probably won't change my search criteria much, but it's good information to know if and when I look at a 71/72 02. Just wanted to know the exact mods that are out there for the belts before continuing on. If worst comes to worst, I can just pick up a 71/72 and do the seatbelt mod as one of the first things

For now, still hunting for the 73 Chamonix :)

Thanks for the information everyone!

My 68 2002 had the worst of the worst early belts that were lap/shoulder but didn't use a center loop. I have now replaced them with belts by Al Bluedevils under the rear seat. They work great.

My 71 1600 has the center loop style and they are also a pain in the ass. If you are thinking of buying a car and seatbelts are your top concern, get a 72 & up. Like others have mentioned, retrofitting anything is possible.

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Many old seat belts that originally came with these cars (or any old German car) should be replaced by now. Some parts can be recycled such as male tongues, female buckles/receivers, B-pillar shoulder swing (D) brackets, etc. Or completely new seat belts can be retrofitted, including new updated belts from BMW although they are very expensive and don't look like the NOS belts except for 74-76 US model Repas ($$$$) Older cars which (

I highly recommend Al, he does a great job in ensuring that your experience with the seatbelts is the best it can be. He recently came and uninstalled the ones in our 74, completely refurbished the belts from the bolts to the buckles and even the chrome loops, and when they didn't work to the right specifications he replaced the webbing, and included a list of everything he did. He's local to me, and a very cool guy to hang out and talk 02 with :)

Oh, and the seatbelts work better than the ones in my brother's brand new Chevy Cruze... retract like butter.

So when and if you find the 2002 you want, have Al hook you up with some seatbelts. Good luck with the search!

1974 Malaga 2002 4282899 "Little Red"

1976 Polaris 2002 2374061 "Rusty Shackleford" 

1998 Dk. Blue Volvo S70 T5 "Carlene"- 221k Miles 

If your car has had standing water inside for a while, and the belts are original, it is in everyone's best interest to replace them with either new belts or a good replacement set.

The cheap aftermarket ones have hair-trigger retractor mechanisms that will make you wish you spent a little more for quality belts. Safety first!

These pics are ones I took from a Tundra 72tii VIN # 2760543

DSC_0703.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"