oil light q's(long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all-

my oil light went on today and after investigation I found that one of the holes for the oil pan bolts is stripped. It sits next to the flywheel. I tried to replace the bolt but it is the hole itself.It is not gushing oil or even dripping heavily while it sits.Last time that i dropped the pan I was short a new gasket so i put it all back together with the old gasket. I drove the engine from southern california to monterey with no problems a few weeks ago and all of the sudden this light came on.

1)Could the incomplete seal around the pan be the source of my lost oil pressure?

2)I had a cooling problem and I never checked out the head gasket. Could a leaking head gasket be the source of lost oil pressure?

3) how do I retap the threads on the hole??

4) If not lost pressure from stripped hole, What should I check out for lost oil pressure?

Guest Anonymous

it does so by blowing out the plastic center; then you can lose all your engine oil in a coupla minutes at highway speeds--and you'll never know if the light isn't working! Then it'll be new engine time...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

The stripped pan bolt will not affect your oil pressure. The sump is not pressurized. The senders do go bad and are also a frequent source of leaks. They cost about ten bucks but there are two thread sizes so beware. As for the head gasket check the oil cap and dipstick for water in the oil and also the antifreeze for oil there. When is the warning light on? at idle or all the time? Do you hear anything different in the engine?

Give us more info.

Jonathan T.