• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Body Shop in SF/Peninsula?

cpolyak

Had an accident yesterday on 101 heading into SF. Looking for recommendations for a high quality body shop/mechanic that knows 2002tii's inside and out. I don't have much free time becasue of my job so I'm looking for a place that can do it without me looking over their shoulder throughout the process. At a minimum the hood and nose will need replacement, minor paint damage to door edges and radiator appears to be pushed into engine and rubbing.

I have Hagerty insurance so I'm expecting them to square up and let me get it done correctly without cutting corners.

This is such a shame. . . at least no one was hurt.

post-15921-13667663197634_thumb.jpg

1973 Inka 2002tii (2764445) 

1974 Inka 2002tii (2782629) / Sold

1969 Porsche 912 (129000269) / Sold

I used Paul Colby at Autosport Exclusive in San Mateo, http://www.autosportsexclusive.com, to do my paint job. He did a very nice job and has been extremely helpful on other small projects. He has done over 60 2002s. He restores them and Porsches. Give him a call.

Seems like a good guy, knows 02s, but you get what you pay for (or don't, if it's an insurance job).

Christian, so sorry to hear! I know there's a decent shop in Alameda that's gotten good reviews. When I get back from deployment I'll get their address for you (saved it on my home computer).

-Lloyd

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. Went with Paul at Autosports Exclusive in San Mateo. He's doing amazing work - should be done next week. Highly recommend him if you ever need 2002 body work or resto done.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks all. Went with Paul at Autosports Exclusive in San Mateo. He's doing amazing work - should be done next week. Highly recommend him if you ever need 2002 body work or resto done.

please let us know how the final product turns out.

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Picked car up Saturday. Paul knows what he's doing when it comes to 2002s. High quality repair and a pleasure to work with - even made some subtle improvements to the car. On schedule, good communication and you get what you pay for. Not cheap, but insurance covered the repair.

Picked car up Saturday. Paul knows what he's doing when it comes to 2002s. High quality repair and a pleasure to work with - even made some subtle improvements to the car. On schedule, good communication and you get what you pay for. Not cheap, but insurance covered the repair.

I wish I had the same luck. even with my insurance co covering the.costs.

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

I wish I had the same luck. even with my insurance co covering the.costs.

What happened, 1971Ginger? Who did you have repair your car? Were you unsatisfied with the results? I know the whole process is a pain in the ass. I want to see pics of your guys' (yours and cpolyak's) before and after work.

the problem is pictures don't really show blemish/issues like the eyes see. pictures also can't tell the whole back story either.

I'll see what I can do but if not il be showing the car at Brisbane...

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

• 2 weeks later...

well, that's not what i meant about "you get what you pay for". what were the "extra improvements"?

I had a new windshield gasket installed and some cosmetic work done in the engine compartment separate from the insurance work - figured it was there anyway so what the heck.

What I mean was, the repair was a lot of $, but the outcome was great! High quality repair and excellent attention to detail. Fortunately insurance covered the repairs and I didn't have to.

Here's a photo of the finished product. New hood, grills, etc. I'm happy with the paint match and body fitment.

post-15921-13667665184651_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The 02s I've been looking at all probably need fresh paint. For reference, about how much should I be expecting to spend on a new paint job (standard color, ie Polaris or fjord) in the Bay Area? Figuring I can take off/reassemble most of the trim myself if it saves a few bucks. Thanks!

BC

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors