Where to wire switched power for aftermkt stereo?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Red2002Small.jpg

Hi all-

I just installed a good CD head unit in my '72 from scratch, but the switched power (turned on and off with the ignition key) needs a better connection than the purple wire I used coming out of the Hazard light harness (it was convenient, and switched on and off with the ignition). I'm starting to blow fuses like crazy. Where do people usually connect this to that's a safe bet? I would like some real specifics here (exact location and hopefully color of the wire) from anyone who has done it successfully. Thanks folks!

Guest Anonymous

if you are seriously in need of a serious power route for your serious hi-power audio equipment then you will run whatever type of (probably oxygen free copper) power cable from the battery/starter solenoid/alternator circuit to the stereo. If you don't like that, then you can check to see if your car has any auxillary fuses going on in the fuse box, but as far as I know '72s aren't as cool as '74-'76s. From there you can decide what you want to trigger, with a relay or some RPM activiated switch (LOL), the stereo power. Always check the technical specs that came with the stereo equipment for the max rated power draw, add up (with a little basic math) whatever you have running off that same power cable, and fuse the main power.

HTH,

El