Query for the Masses...Exhaust: performance vs. loudness...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

have a stock Tii exhuast. I would like to upgrade it. I had an Ansa, but my wife said it was tooooo loud and it had to go. I tried reasoning with her, I even pointed out the car was quieter than the old 1965 dodge coronet that a little old man at our church drives (then again it is a super stock 426 hemi).

Anyhow, what's out there? and what give a good trade off between flow and noise?

Guest Anonymous

hour or two...also they don't last very long. There are better options, but the stock system is long-lived and has a nice sound. 02s are noisy enough without adding exhaust roar...at least for a daily driver.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

The mufflers that Ireland sells are not loud at all and should flow well.

I have the ANSA, but the carbs make just as much noise anyway.

Guest Anonymous

but better than Ansa for sure.

I have a header that I used to run, and it just sounded too tin-canny....but flowed a hell-of-a-lot better.

02MonsterMike

Guest Anonymous

..."If it's too loud, you're too old."

I've had Ansas and Abarths and Super Sprints on my '02s in the past.

Now the stock system suits me just fine.

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

Guest Anonymous

With a stock resonator. It is not too loud, not too quiet, just about right. If I had to do it again, I would use the same setup.

Steve P. in NC

Guest Anonymous

..I rather liked the "relative quiet" on my 2500 mile round trip to O'Fest last summer.

I also drove a '74 MGB about 700 or so miles from Grand Rapids, MI to Atlanta recently. The stock MGB system was comparable in sound level to the stock '02.

Blasting down a country lane, running through the gears, hearing the rise and fall of the engine up to redline and back as I heel and toe, cutting apexes and kicking the rear out just a bit at the exit....well that's another matter entirely...

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

Guest Anonymous

My trip to O Fest was windows down, 4700-5000rpm for 900Mi. I couldn't hear a thing, plus with the wood wheel my fingers were numb. Oh, and My seat was broken.

Guest Anonymous

Sounded good, tuneable, looked trick.

When I went to the 1.8 FI head, I switched back to a stock exhaust(center + rear)to make it smog legal.

With the change in the engine, I didn't really notice any performance loss. A little more quiet.

Guest Anonymous

with 1 7/8' ID tubing and a Dynomax muffler (no resonator), system exits in the stock location (I added a 38 Weber & K&N filter). Over all, it's a bit louder than stock with a nice little "rasp", but no harmonic boom or drone, and the exhaust is barely audible at freeway speeds.