Sign in to follow this  
Beck180

The Art of Racing in the Rain

16 posts / 1809 viewsLast Reply

If you haven't already, I highly suggest reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain," by Garth Stein

http://www.amazon.com/The-Racing-Rain-Garth-Stein/dp/0061537934

Although this novel does touch on the elements of driving skill and the nuances of motorsports in wet conditions, those points are a metaphor for an emotional roller coaster of one race car driver's family life.

It's a fictional tale told from the point of view of the owner's dog. A bright pup who dog lovers will just adore. The dog's owner drives a 911 GT3 cup car, traveling the US and Europe for races. When he is not competing, he is working at a BMW dealership as a mechanic and the book has several references to fantastic cars such as Alfa Romeo GTV's, BMW 3.0cs and of course, the 2002. - The main character drives a '73 BMW 3.0csi!

I have to admit, I am not the best reader in the world. As I barely passed most book reports as a child. However this novel was spectacular. I highly recommend anyone, especially car lovers, to read it.

A bit of warning, this book is terribly emotional. If you've ever lost a close loved one, you may want to tread lightly. The book centers around the main character's loss of his wife and is it very sad. My girlfriend lost her father when she was in her early 20's and she couldn't bring herself to read the book.

But the lowest lows and depressing losses the character must endure makes his success in racing and in life that more impressive. It truly is an epic book I hope everyone picks up soon.

(and no i have no connection to the author, I really just loved the book that much and thought all car lovers should read it).

I hope you're all having a good week.

I had been told of this book, but of course, forgot...thanks for the reminder, just ordered a copy.

Dave V. in NC

I read it while going through cancer treatment. Great book! I give copies to my patients.

A really good read!

That is one of my favorite novels of the last couple years for sure.

I have a copy of this book that I need to return to another FAQer that loaned it to my wife and I.

I bought it, read it, wife read it, and passed on to a friend in the course of a week. Our TV-watching friend has a new nick-name, now, of course...Enzo. I'd give it two thumbs up (sorry Zo, no thumbs buddy....)

Dave V.