M20Curtis

Pertronix/distributor failures??

20 posts / 5504 viewsLast Reply

Okay so I hooked up direct power to the unit as well as a ground from the distributor to black wire to verify a good ground. STILL no spark, and seperately after hooking power into the red and ohm meter on the black wire and then to distributor body as explained, no pulse at all while spinning. Looking to me like she is dead in the water brand new out of the box! I am going to do a brand new set of points and condenser as this thing was designed tomorrow and see if she will spark and even more importantly, come back to life! Thanks all, I will update anything I find!

OK... Silly question, but did you properly set the air gap between the Pertronix magnet wheel and the sensor? IIRC, the Pertronix has a VERY generous range to the Gap, so it's kinda difficult to get it wrong, still...

It's also not impossible that the unit is simply faulty right out of the box. A friend had that happen to one he bought for his Europa several years back.

Good Luck !

Cheers!

I just successfully installed one of these in my 73...I can't tell from the photo but does the magnet line up correctly? there is a "riser" plate under the petronix unit that is optional. The top of the magnet should be flush with the top of the petronix unit.

Yes, the magnet lines up right to the pickup and if anything is 1mm low at the most. Not enough that I would see any way in the world to not get a signal.

By adding the spacer made it like a 3-4mm difference so it made it worse and no way to lower the pickup itself lower than no spacer. Picking up point and condenser today to try and if it runs and fixes the problem, Pertronix has lost a customer. We shall see!

*** so I got to work and the points are backwards! What next? What in the world points did I get? To be continued tomorrow... This is really starting to suck!

PPS********** The damn distributor didn't have any springs for the mechanical advance. No comment, not happy, sourcing another WORKING unit now.

Got another distributor out of a running local car and imagine that, still no spark. Coil has 12V when ignition is on but no spark whatsoever to the distributor or any spark plug wires. What gives? I am at a loss how this is possible. Ideas? So lost on the simplest system in the world I could (and have) scream!

*** New coil out of an e30 and she fires up! But now won't rev. Never ran right before and I am starting to think this brand new 34ICH is junk as everybody says. Going to see if he still has a stock carb for one more try or convince for a 32/36 setup so I can actually work with the correct parts. Anyone have any insight for a good 1600 setup?