• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FINALLY found an aftermarket AC system

nbristow01

This evap/heater combo will fit easily behind my current Clardy console.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/hurricane-ac-systems/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated-c-1_32000000_120131979_120131981.html?osCsid=0e57165870a1363bf2b6ec1de56f4386

I have ordered the system. I ordered 2 in dash rectangular louvers for the console. My clardy has 2 big vents there now. I will be getting some aluminum sheet and cutting out a blank to cover the old holes, them cutting the openings in the aluminum to accept the new louvers. I also ordered 2 round louvers to mount on each side of the console, so one in passenger footwell area and one in driver side. I will mount them as high up and as close as possible. Since this unit has a heater I will be getting rid of the old heater box system. I have a leaky valve anyway. This system has a cable controlled defrost so I can adapt the current defrost hoses to connect to the unit.

Hope all goes well and I will take pics. This may not even get completed until mid august due to a tight schedule but I will plug away at it.

I suck at wiring so will have my buddy wire it up after installed

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

The logic behind using this (instead of a Clardy or Behr evaporator assembly) is that the evaporator core is larger and the fan moves more air?

Let us know how it works out.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

The logic behind using this (instead of a Clardy or Behr evaporator assembly) is that the evaporator core is larger and the fan moves more air?

Let us know how it works out.

The logic is I would rather spend the funds on a new system versus installing a very old, brittle, lower BTU, R12 system. I tried to find old parts for my Clardy but the parts I found were as bad off as what I currently have and cost almost as much as this system. In addition I can get rid of the old heater system. The Bosch fan is less than a year old on it and I can sell that. The valve leaks and the price of new ones is just crazy.

I ordered the system that has the fittings on the right side. The 2000 unit. Lots of improvements have been made in AC over the years and as much as I drive my car I will use those advances...for the same or even a lower price than an AC system from the 70's or 80's.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Let me know how it goes, I need some of that A/C stuff!! I see they are in Ft Worth, did you talk to them about doing an 02 specific set up? I could send that Malaga 76 to them if they wanted one to make a system with.

Let me know how it goes, I need some of that A/C stuff!! I see they are in Ft Worth, did you talk to them about doing an 02 specific set up? I could send that Malaga 76 to them if they wanted one to make a system with.

Andy I am not sure where the stuff is made...I think they most likely are resellers. But I did not research them much to find otherwise. It would be really sweet if they, OR SOMEONE ON THIS FAQ, that has the skills to make a console that could be purchased and used by us guys with this system. Would end the battle of old AC systems and allow us, who wish to, eliminate the old heater box as well. I will keep you posted on my setup and install.

Taking the family on a cruise ina few weeks then we start filming the show so it may end up being mid to late August before i can really get much going. I am going to alt least try and get my cosole modified this weekend.

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

And IIRC, they have faux units (empty case?) for purchase to use for mockup..maybe.

Make that two years ago we were talking about this..

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,344851/start,12/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,/sid,a73600edfae3a8e976b15542c055c3a5/

You go Nick. You go.

Here's another link that has dimensional drawing links..

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated/old-air-products/ip-2000/hurricane-2000-inside-package-p-4459.html

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

And IIRC, they have faux units (empty case?) for purchase to use for mockup..maybe.

Make that two years ago we were talking about this..

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,344851/start,12/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,/sid,a73600edfae3a8e976b15542c055c3a5/

You go Nick. You go.

Here's another link that has dimensional drawing links..

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated/old-air-products/ip-2000/hurricane-2000-inside-package-p-4459.html

I saw that one previous post but it never went anywhere. I will try to do a blog on this install

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I'm also at this stage. A/C is essential in Thiland as it's 30 deg C all year round. I've fitted a larger condenser and fan into the nose and will add a Sanden once my engine is in. I plan to fabricate a facimile of the 02 short console and fit A/C vents where the radio recess would have been. There seem to be several small modern evaporator/fan units that will fit in the space between the underside of the dash and the top of the tunnel.

I'd like to build a complete packaged unit up which I could sell but expect the price would be high once shipping was included so will just post my findings and a 'build thread' once complete.

post-19674-13667661885293_thumb.jpg

I'm also at this stage. A/C is essential in Thiland as it's 30 deg C all year round. I've fitted a larger condenser and fan into the nose and will add a Sanden once my engine is in. I plan to fabricate a facimile of the 02 short console and fit A/C vents where the radio recess would have been. There seem to be several small modern evaporator/fan units that will fit in the space between the underside of the dash and the top of the tunnel.

I'd like to build a complete packaged unit up which I could sell but expect the price would be high once shipping was included so will just post my findings and a 'build thread' once complete.

Man really nice fan brackets...did you make them?

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle