All you colorado/cold weather 02ers, what do you do during w

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'll be moving north to Colorado soon, and I'm wondering what you guys do to get around the snow. I ahve a feeling my 76 with its open diff isnt going to do really well in the slick stuff. The thought has crossed my mind to sell it and get into an older jeep or landcruiser, but I'm hoping someone here can talk some since into me.

I'll be limited to one car, so having the 02 as a summer only car wont work. I'll be living in Durango so snow wont be that bad, but it's still Colorado. Snow tires and careful driving?

Guest Anonymous

no snow tires and no problems. A good set of Blizzaks or the like (get a spare set of wheels) and you'll be OK. Just realize the limitations of a rear drive car with an open diff. A big tool box (or other weight) in the trunk over the rear axle doesn't hurt either...nor does a full gas tank.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I'm in Colorado Springs. Fortunately around here the snow only sticks around a few days...even after a big storm.

I have an extra set of steelies with fairly aggressive all seasons that I put on for the winter. Whenever there is snow predicted, I fill up the tank for a little extra weight in the rear. The 2002 is not a great performer in snow, but with good driving techniques and patience I have been able to get around just fine. I have never been stuck or stranded.

Those few snow days are worth it for the hi-speed drive up the "million dollar highway"!

I don't know where you are coming from, but if you have a carbed car, you will need to change jetting. You can also advance timing at higher altituded to get some better performance.

Gary

Guest Anonymous

I was stationed in Colorado Springs for five years, the first two at Ft.Carson and the last three NORAD Cheyenne Mt. I lived in the north part of the city, Garden of the Gods and used my 74 2002 daily year in year out and never had a problem. If you adjust you driving habits accordingly you will be good to go. I was constantly amazed at the number of 4x4's that were upside down in the median of I-25 on my way to work on those cold winter, snowy mornings.

Earl Myers

74 2002Lux

72Volvo 1800ES

Guest Anonymous

Even though I did end up in a few snow storms where the snow on the road was past the bottom of the car. As well I found myself having to push the car of ppls lawns sometimes, although I am sure thats more impart of the mad drifts you get when it is icy :)

On the other hand if it dipped past -30C it didnt start either.