Conserv

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

185 posts / 39110 viewsLast Reply

17 minutes ago, zinz said:

Thanks, Steve.  I hope they work out well.  

The silicone is painted over.  I have no idea why it's there?  I had to ask the seller to confirm it wasn't a weld...which would have been a disaster.  

I was lucky to find a German seller who was willing to work with a US buyer.  Nice guy who went to a lot of effort to get the tires off and boxing them up.  I'm happy to have them.  

Ed

You know, Ed, that tight crevice oft times plays havoc with paint, which might bridge the gap in spots but not the full circumference of the rim.  That's my un-informed guess and I'm sticking to it!

Best regards,

Steve

Yes sir.  I've seen where folks have had trouble with paint bubbling in the seam from hidden rust.  I'm hopeful there isn't some scary rust lurking under the silicone. 

We'll soon find out.

3 hours ago, zinz said:

Steve, I just spotted these on CL.  Interesting stamps?

00g0g_aKMtIjdKLmO_1200x900.jpg

01414_jrVZn0bs0yZ_1200x900.jpg

Ed

Ed

Thank you, Ed!

It would be nice to see the dates for these examples in order to determine whether they (a.) follow; or (b.) expand my earlier observations -- see my CMR Summary post of July 10, 2012 within this thread:

In those observations, I noted that ET's stamped on the faces of Borrani's were largely found on rims manufactured 1974 or later (zinc's 2/71 rims stamped "E-30MM" are the first example I've seen of that form, and the earliest ET I've seen on a CMR steelie) and KBA numbers stamped on the faces of Borrani's were largely found on rims manufactured 1978 or later.  So...are the rims above dated 1978 or later?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Nice set Ed! I know you were looking for a set for awhile!

I just missed out on these a little while ago. I had the arrangements all set with the seller in Germany, but eBay blocked me from bidding for some reason, and the auction was over before I could rectify it. Anyway, I thought I would post for this thread as they appear to be very original (still had XASs on them!) and a less common size 13x5j, R484, date stamped 6/71.

9c41cb01267e672c4c42e5edfa96140c.jpg
5bad716d2e11bda9eb8243ff3b83303e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JohnP_02 said:

I just missed out on these a little while ago. I had the arrangements all set with the seller in Germany, but eBay blocked me from bidding for some reason, and the auction was over before I could rectify it. Anyway, I thought I would post for this thread as they appear to be very original (still had XASs on them!) and a less common size 13x5j, R484, date stamped 6/71.

Thank you, John,

Yes, these 5" versions, which were frequently used for snow tires, are either rare today, or people who own them don't join '02 forums!

CMR steelies are heavy rims:  that'll give you "road-gripping" traction in heavy snow.  Isn't that how it works?  

Regards

Steve

Thanks John, I have been looking for awhile and I'm happy to finally have these for the '72.  I would have been happy with those 5" models, as well; I like the original paint.  

The set I posted from CL are in Seattle... perhaps someone can call the guy to get more pics?  He has a Tii project they are giving up on...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/5779028194.html

1 hour ago, 02Anders said:

....Next time I'm back in Denmark, I'll grab some pics of my CMR's that are still in my lock-up there...

It's about time, Anders!  We've been waiting!  ?

If you give us the address of and the location of the key for the "lock-up", we'd be happy to take those photographs for you, and maybe do an...inventory of the contents, yes, we'll do an...inventory. ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

8 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It's about time, Anders!  We've been waiting!  ?

If you give us the address of and the location of the key for the "lock-up", we'd be happy to  take those photographs for you, and maybe do an...inventory of the contents, yes, we'll do an...inventory. ?

Best regards,

Steve

HeHeHe... an inventory??  I'm concerned that your family will begin missing you long before you are even half way through that lock-up...  ;)

7 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

Many times you can bid on a German eBay item through eBay UK. That and the seller has the choice to turn off US bidders as far as I've seen.

Hope This Helps, for the next time,

Tom

This thread and coffee go great together.  Thanks for doing this, Steve.  You're a true wheelologist / scholar.

Yesterday I received a set of ex-Pantel 5.5" CMR Borranis.  I don't think John posted them on this thread; it appears that John buys these things monthly, like I buy cereal.  

Anyway, I will get some pics sometime soon.  They won't add anything interesting to the discussion (as I just read this entire thread).  They are from mid-'71, have the triangle holes, and follow the earlier-mentioned convention where the race and the barrel are dated one month apart.  Now to shop for 13" tires...

Happy Thanksgiving.

Scott

18 hours ago, arminyack said:

oh BTW I contacted the seller, he is willing to ship to the USA if anyone is interested in shelling out the ~$1k for them.

Edited by arminyack