Conserv

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

185 posts / 38432 viewsLast Reply

Thanks for the input Steve. As of now I'm just happy to have them in my collection. I guess only time will bring the answers I'm searching for. Haha.

Thanks for organizing all this information also. Really makes me appreciate these wheels even more.

Regards,

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve I have a number of sets of these and will post this week.

What I have found through the years are 5x13 cmr, 51/2x13 cmr round hole all Borrani . I have also seen 6x14 Nk Borrani round hole. I also have seen 5 1/2x13 triangle hole wheels that are LATER manufactured and 6x13 later ( I mean 73 and later) cmr Borrani. A very interesting observation regarding ALPINA wheels are that they look the same and in some instances ( such as the NK wheels) these were made by lemer and are stamped ALPINA and lemer.

Most interesting is that the center cap holes vary in diameter. I'm not sure when or why other than Alpina had larger mm diameters than the Bmw oem center caps.

I will post a few pics for everyone to see and get a better understanding of what I am referring to.

More importantly when reviewing rally and race articles from the period the stronger cmr/Borrani wheels were the favorite of the rally folks mainly because of their strength and reliability. Three piece early lemer and alpina and later bbs 3 piece wheels used for race tracks.

Wheels used for "snow" or "winter" would have been considered "cool" to have on your car because of the "Rallye" factor .. A nice accompaniment to driving your car around with "ski racks" on the roof...

A nice touch and smart so you don't have to change tires every winter season. Just swap wheels.

I'm a BMW zombie and there's no cure.

(edited)
On 10/18/2015 at 11:38 PM, rey949 said:

Steve I have a number of sets of these and will post this week.

What I have found through the years are 5x13 cmr, 51/2x13 cmr round hole all Borrani . I have also seen 6x14 Nk Borrani round hole. I also have seen 5 1/2x13 triangle hole wheels that are LATER manufactured and 6x13 later ( I mean 73 and later) cmr Borrani. A very interesting observation regarding ALPINA wheels are that they look the same and in some instances ( such as the NK wheels) these were made by lemer and are stamped ALPINA and lemer.

Most interesting is that the center cap holes vary in diameter. I'm not sure when or why other than Alpina had larger mm diameters than the Bmw oem center caps.

I will post a few pics for everyone to see and get a better understanding of what I am referring to.

More importantly when reviewing rally and race articles from the period the stronger cmr/Borrani wheels were the favorite of the rally folks mainly because of their strength and reliability. Three piece early lemer and alpina and later bbs 3 piece wheels used for race tracks.

Wheels used for "snow" or "winter" would have been considered "cool" to have on your car because of the "Rallye" factor .. A nice accompaniment to driving your car around with "ski racks" on the roof...

A nice touch and smart so you don't have to change tires every winter season. Just swap wheels.

I'm a BMW zombie and there's no cure.

Thank you, rey. You may or may not have seen the summary matrix I prepared and attached to the original post of this thread (a June 15, 2015 version of the PDF file is presently attached to Posts # 1 and 38, the two summary posts). The summary matrix shows the 13" CMR rims -- for '02s -- that were available back in the day, along with data such as model numbers, offsets, manufacturing dates, center hub bores, and weights.

The 6x14 Alpina rims are not on this matrix as they, just as you say, were NK rims. They also were not manufactured by CMR, but by Lemmerz, which manufactured the majority of factory steel rims for '02s. There is a lot of worthwhile discussion within the 4 pages of this thread of various other aspects of the CMR rims.

I look forward to adding your rims to the inventory that feeds into the summary matrix!

Regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-47843100-1445356561_thumb.j

post-41123-0-47843100-1445356561_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

(edited)
On 9/30/2015 at 10:07 PM, NowhereFast said:

...I am curious why it says 7-77 on the flare and 6/77 around the hub? The 7-77 is not a date then I suppose?

Well, John, we've actually seen this dual dating previously on CMR rims, always with a barrel date (in the "tire race") that precedes the date stamped on the outside (i.e., face) of the rim -- usually only a one-month difference. My guess is that the barrels were stamped when the barrels were completed and the outside was stamped when the rim was completed -- i.e., rims welded onto the barrel. So, yes, I believe your rims' barrels were manufactured June 1977 and the rims were completed July 1977.

Somewhere on the forum, maybe in this thread, is another example (I'm fairly certain it's one of my own CMR rims).

Placing this practice in broader perspective, my '61 Ford F-350 has its original, albeit optional, Budd 19.5 x 5.25 steel rims. The five rim centers are dated 1958 and 1959 (and identified by their Budd model numbers and Budd symbol) while the outside rims are dated 1960 and 1961, and marked by Firestone, who completed the rims. And, indeed, this model rim was used on F-350 models from 1954 through 1966, but it was a rare option. Clearly those barrels sat in inventory for a couple years before being turned into completed rims. Shown below is a 1959 barrel on a rim completed January 1961.

Best regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-59468100-1445316145_thumb.j

post-41123-0-48485100-1445316179_thumb.j

post-41123-0-59468100-1445316145_thumb.j

post-41123-0-48485100-1445316179_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

Hi, I was going through my some of my old Alpina papers last night and I ran across this original TuV test report for the A2 engine (?) from 71.  Towards the bottom they mention that you can also upgrade to either 5x13 or 5 ½ x13 CRM Borrani steel wheels.  I’m not sure if this is the definitive proof that Alpina only sold 5 and 5 ½ inch rims, but in 71 that seemed to be the case.

Borrani_Pruumlfbericht_zpsyhlohbnz.jpg

Kevin

(edited)
On 11/9/2015 at 7:24 AM, Southernboy said:

Hi, I was going through my some of my old Alpina papers last night and I ran across this original TuV test report for the A2 engine (?) from 71. Towards the bottom they mention that you can also upgrade to either 5x13 or 5 ½ x13 CRM Borrani steel wheels. I’m not sure if this is the definitive proof that Alpina only sold 5 and 5 ½ inch rims, but in 71 that seemed to be the case.

Borrani_Pruumlfbericht_zpsyhlohbnz.jpg

Kevin

Thank you very much for adding this to the thread, Kevin -- and for reading through it and finding the reference to CMR steel rims!

The stamped date at the bottom of the sheet indicates May 11, 1971 (11. 5. 71). And we've yet to see an Alpina steelie dated later than September 1972, so we are possibly near the end of Alpina steelie production. Meanwhile "Borrani" steelies are manufactured in the 6" width into 1982!

It is certainly further evidence of the Alpina offerings of CMR steel rims. At this point, given that (a.) I have never seen a 6" Alpina steelie first-hand or even in a photograph; (b.) I have never found a period advertisement of Alpina steelies (CMR) in rim widths other than 5" and 5 1/2"; and (c.) every modern sighting of a 6" Alpina has turned out to be a 5 1/2" rim, I am finally convinced that 5" and 5 1/2" rims comprise 100% of the Alpina steelie (CMR) production.

Nice addition!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Hi guys, just to add a little more proof, here's a copy of the Alpina catalog from 67/68 with both the 5 and 5 1/2 mentioned as an option.  At least as early as this Mr Bovensiepen was offering these wheels to drivers of "exclusive automobiles" :D  

AlpinaCatalogue-Back_1_zps6twtyhwq.jpg

Kevin

(edited)

And last but not least, the smoking gun of when the first Borrani's were available from Alpina.  In the attached catalog from late 66 or early 67 it states that only the 5 1/2 Borranis will be available starting sometime in the middle of 67.  So the 5 1/2 x 13s were the first size available and the 5 x 13s seemed to have come in later in 68 as an option. 

AlpinaCatalogue-Back_66_67_Borrani_zpsdl

In the Alpina catalog that I have from Jan 75,(unfortunately I don't have that one scanned) the Borranis are still shown as being available, but my guess is by that time there weren't many people who were still buying them. In the 76 catalog that I have they are no longer listed.

Wheel%20Alpina%20catalog%2076_zpsfht4jgy

Enjoy, Kevin

EDIT: I think I should clean my glasses from time to time. :huh:   Above it does show the steel wheels in this catalog, but only the 5 1/2.  So they were still available in 76, but as Mark wrote in 77 they were no longer listed.

Edited by Southernboy

I have a 26 page catalog from '77 - ditto, steelies weren't available (or at least they weren't listed as available) then either.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

(edited)

This is fabulous stuff, Kevin (and Mark)!

But I did come across an example of a 5 x 13 stamped October 1967 (included in the matrix of CMR rims attached to the Original Post), so perhaps that represents one of the earliest 5 x 13s? What makes dating from physical rims a bit more challenging is that early CMR rims -- before '69-ish -- were only dated on the outside of the barrels (in the "tire race"), not on the faces of the rims. So if tires are mounted on the rims, you are SOL with respect to the manufacturing dates.

Keep the posts coming!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I have a set of 6x14 ALPINA steel wheels incl. center caps and chrome bolts for sale.

Very good condition. Two resprayed, 2 not yet.

Best regards

Andreas

post-41027-0-94084300-1447359971_thumb.j

Hi Inca-orange: your advertisement should probably go in the parts for sale forum rather than in this fine thread. Those wheels look like 5-1/2" R1-440 models, not 6". Do you have a close-up picture of the face of the rim, right around the lugs where the ID markings are? We would be quite interested to see the markings. 

On 11/12/2015 at 4:28 PM, codigoRojo said:

Hi Inca-orange: your advertisement should probably go in the parts for sale forum rather than in this fine thread. Those wheels look like 5-1/2" R1-440 models, not 6". Do you have a close-up picture of the face of the rim, right around the lugs where the ID markings are? We would be quite interested to see the markings.

I dunno: they look pretty big to me! They could be 6 x 14 Alpina's manufactured for the NK sedans by Lemmerz, model number 1407. We love them, too, but we're saving them for a separate thread, since they weren't manufactured by CMR!

Yes, we'd love close-up photos, showing markings, including dates (the NK rims seem to be largely '67-'68). And, yes, lots more people will see them if they're listed in the Parts for Sale section!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

I am curious if the 6.5 inch Borranis were option for our cars, or back in the days only 5 - 5.5 - 6 inch wheels were available and the 6.5 inch wheels were offered for other cars like Opel, etc. Do you know something, guys?

On 11/13/2015 at 4:34 AM, pehlivanov_tii said:

I am curious if the 6.5 inch Borranis were option for our cars, or back in the days only 5 - 5.5 - 6 inch wheels were available and the 6.5 inch wheels were offered for other cars like Opel, etc. Do you know something, guys?

Good question.

I avoid the word "option" with aftermarket rims, as "option" implies equipment available from the BMW factory. None of these CMR-manufactured rims was available through BMW. They were strictly aftermarket. If your BMW dealer was ALSO a dealer in CMR rims, that was separate and apart from his relationship to BMW.

This, then, gets us to the issues of (a.) marketing and (b.) suitability. Dealers in these aftermarket rims would sell you anything you wished to buy. But in some jurisdictions, such as Germany, with its TUV inspections, you could only legally use aftermarket equipment -- on a road-legal vehicle -- if it was approved for your car's make and model. In other jurisdictions, such as the U.S., you could -- and still can -- buy any size rim and mount it on your car, for better or worse, no matter how ridiculous or un-safe. Dealers did, indeed, market the 6.5" rims for '02s and '02 owners did, indeed, run them. In Post #56 of this thread, for instance, Hans has posted a Miller & Norburn ad that includes the 6.5" rims. That fact, however, doesn't entirely answer the suitability question.

It would be helpful if those who have original KBA documentation for these rims -- required to pass TUV inspections -- could share this information and let us know if the various models, particularly the 6" and 6.5" versions, were certified for German use on '02s. It's not only a good question for the 6.5" rims, which certainly require fender modifications to provide adequate clearance -- "adequate clearance" was a LOT more clearance in the '70s than people view as "adequate clearance" today -- but even for the 6" rims. I've previously discussed (Post #64) the two offsets available in the 6" rims: ET17 and ET30. Europeans, particularly Germans, generally view the ET17 version as the '02 rim and the ET30 version as the Opel rim. Americans tend to view the ET30 as the '02 rim and the ET17 as an e21 rim. But BOTH offsets were sold years before the 1975 introduction of the e21, so the American view essentially leaves the original "target" for the ET17 rim entirely un-identified (if it was not the '02). I, personally, suspect the European view might be based on the original KBA documentation.

But in practice, outside jurisdictions such as Germany, '02 owners were sticking anything on their cars that they could fit, or almost fit -- just like today. I will note for the 6.5" rims, which are ET8, that if '02s were not an original intended target, Opels, which in the '70s generally needed more offset than '02s, were an even less likely target.

So...let's everyone get out our KBA documents! You do have your documents? No? (I don't!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv