• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

Conserv
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

Mine:

R1/528

KBA 40008

6JX13ET 17

CMR 1/79

Triangular holes

I appreciate that someone is recording this information. Maybe it will assist a new generation of 02 owners.

Best Regards,

"Z"

Thanks, "Z"! I know your username appears on my database so some of your information appeared in a post. But this is the complete package I need.

The funny thing -- although it is perhaps typical -- is that much of the information I'm collecting has already appeared on the forum, but in dozens of different posts over a decade or more.

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi,

Finally got in the garage and took a photo. The front of my wheels have:

R1-440

13x5 1/2

Nothing else written on front or back! I seem to remember something being written under the tire on the "rim" but of course can't easily check.

ALPINA_steelies.JPG

P4221674.JPG

Hope this helps!

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

Some pics I have

Not mine

359a1dc9.jpg

Daniel,

Is there any possibility you can read the other stamped data -- manufacturer, size, model number -- on your best version of this photo (of the 12/67 Alpina rim)?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Steve, these are on Pat deWitt's 1800Ti/SA up in Sacramento CA. They are 14x6 and made by Lemmerz for Alpina. As far as I understand it, BMW was having trouble with cracking/breaking the Ti/SA wheels and these Alpina/Lemmerz are the same size but much stronger.

http://www.hayes-lemmerz.com/

I have better pictures of thee somewhere. I can also take more if you wish. I happen to be the car's mechanic and do house calls for this and most of the deWitt's other BMWs. ;)

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/deWitt%201800TiSA/

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/Euro%20Sunday/6-10%20Niello%20BMW%20and%20Nugget%20Markets%20drive/?action=view¤t=P1050488.jpg

P1050488.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hi,

Finally got in the garage and took a photo. The front of my wheels have:

R1-440

13x5 1/2

Nothing else written on front or back! I seem to remember something being written under the tire on the "rim" but of course can't easily check.

ALPINA_steelies.JPG

Hope this helps!

~Jason

(Last edited 1-13-13)

Edit: I have, by now, seen other examples of "unmarked" rims. On the sole example I saw without a tire mounted, the rim was marked on the tire race. This example was dated April 1968 so I am beginning to believe that pre-'70-ish examples may only be marked on the tire race.

My original response:

Thanks, Jason. It does help. This is the first example I've seen without either a date or a manufacturer's stamp. It's obviously CMR because it uses their model number, R1-440, but I'm wondering if very early examples were not dated; later wheels seem to have increasing amounts of imprinted data. The few R1-440's for which I've seen the rim beneath the tire -- including my own, which are dated 9/72 -- have size, manufacturer, and date imprinted there as well as on the rim face. While I'm curious whether your rims show the date on the area beneath the tire, I wouldn't be surprised if that area only reflected the information imprinted on the rim's face.

I appreciate your help!

Steve

Edited by Conserv

359a1dc9.jpg

Steve, these are on Pat deWitt's 1800Ti/SA up in Sacramento CA. They are 14x6 and made by Lemmerz for Alpina. As far as I understand it, BMW was having trouble with cracking/breaking the Ti/SA wheels and these Alpina/Lemmerz are the same size but much stronger.

http://www.hayes-lemmerz.com/

I have better pictures of thee somewhere. I can also take more if you wish. I happen to be the car's mechanic and do house calls for this and most of the deWitt's other BMWs. ;)

Much appreciated, Tom. You've confirmed what I've been thinking but couldn't confirm with respect to this particular set of rims: they are, indeed, 6x14 TiSA wheels. No more photos required (at this time). (But what a car!)

Before seeing your posting of today, I added to my posting of June 23 (within this string) the following thoughts:

"Edit on 7-4-12: Subsequent to my posting of June 23, I found three unambiguous references to NK Alpina steelies, all confirming examples of Lemmerz-manufactured rims, model number "1407," marked "Alpina," and in the 6x14 size. While this leads me to believe that the above rim (in the photo) is likely to be 6x14, it does not necessarily prove that these early Alpina rims, by Lemmerz, were manufactured solely in the 6x14 size. Although these Lemmerz-manufactured (i.e., non-CMR) rims were not the subject of my initial data gathering, I am currently collecting what I am able to regarding them just in case they were manufactured in a 13" size for 2002's. Stated differently, could Lemmerz or another company have manufactured Alpina steelies for 2002's before or even after CMR began production of them? Or is history as simple as: NK Alpina steelies were manufactured by Lemmerz and 2002 Alpina steelies were manufactured by CMR?"

Has anyone seen a 13" rim in the Alpina steelie style that was NOT manufactured by CMR?

Edited by Conserv

Or is history as simple as: NK Alpina steelies were manufactured by Lemmerz and 2002 Alpina steelies were manufactured by CMR?

That's as I understand it. There were other Alpina 13" steel wheels that are seen in this picture, but I have never seen any outside said photo.

i-5_B_L.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Or is history as simple as: NK Alpina steelies were manufactured by Lemmerz and 2002 Alpina steelies were manufactured by CMR?

That's as I understand it. There were other Alpina 13" steel wheels that are seen in this picture, but I have never seen any outside said photo.

i-5_B_L.jpg

Very helpful, Tom. And I'm thinking that that should be our conclusion until someone proves otherwise, which would be fine! NK Alpina steelie (14") = Lemmerz; 2002 Alpina steelie (13") = CMR.

A question and a note regarding this excellent photo. Question: can we date the photo? The long-neck differential says "early-ish." It's important if it pre-dates the examples I've thus far collected of dated CMR Alpina steelies (for 2002's), because it shows what I will presume is a 13" wheel (a conclusion I reach solely due to the presence of the 2002). Note: that other dis-mounted rim (silver with dark-painted center) is an alloy Borrani (CMR), as shown in the attached photo. The rim in the photo below has either lost its two-color paint scheme or perhaps not all of these rims were produced with the two-color scheme.

Thanks and regards,

Steve

post-41123-0-79988600-1440072875_thumb.j

Edited by Conserv

(Last edited on 4/30/2022)

CMR Rim Summary

I have summarized the data I've assembled thus far in the attached document. You will have to click on it to enlarge it and render it readable.

This summary is only of the dated examples I've collected. What the summary reveals to me is that there are things we do not know about the CMR (Alpina and Borrani) steel rims. If you have never posted a photograph or a description of your CMR rims anywhere on this forum, they're probably not included here. Should they be? I would love to get more data, especially data that expands the date ranges or completes the blanks in the attached summary. I'm happy to update or correct this summary as the facts demand!

Some conclusions:

1. The Alpina steel rims (round cut-outs) and Borrani steel rims (triangular cut-outs) were manufactured simultaneously by CMR, although it appears that the Alpina rims may have ceased production long before the Borrani rims ceased production.  Although not the subject of this thread, it also appears that Lemmerz was producing the 6x14 NK version of the Alpina steelie at the same time CMR was producing the 5x13 and 5.5x13 '02 version of the rim.

2. Undated rims might exist in both the Alpina and Borrani styles. The dating of these rims would be anyone's guess, if they are truly undated. Beginning in approximately 1970, CMR rims appear to be stamped with identification and manufacturing data both (a.) on the rim's face and (b.) under the tire or, stated differently, on the barrel or “tire race." But I strongly suspect that all CMR rims are dated.  On the sole example of a rim that I have examined first-hand which bears no identification marks on the rim's face, the rim size (13x5 1/2JJ) and date (April '68) were stamped on the tire race.  And horizon2002 added photographs on December 7, 2013 of his set of four 5x13 Alpina steelies, showing manufacturer (CMR), rim size (5x13), and date (October '67) stamped solely on the tire race.  (Owners of rims not marked on their face, please look at your tire race area if you have an opportunity!)  I suspect that examining the tire races of the "undated" examples might further expand the range of rim production dates.

3. In the attached summary, where there is more than one model number for a single rim width, different model numbers represent different offsets.

4. Beginning in 1974, many, but not all, CMR rims, had the ET stamped on the face.

5. Beginning in 1978, all the CMR rims in my sampling had "KBA" and, generally, the KBA number stamped on the face. The requirement that the KBA (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt, the German Federal Motor Transport Authority) approve aftermarket automotive accessories appears to pre-date 1978, so either (a.) CMR voluntarily started stamping their rims with the KBA number, with the earliest examples dating to 1974, or (b.) a requirement arose, effective 1978 (possibly earlier), requiring manufacturers to stamp rims with the number.

6. 5" rims appear to be very rare, suggesting: (a.) they sold in small numbers, (b.) they survived in small numbers, and/or (c.) owners of 5" rims are unlikely to participate in internet-based car forums! I have only seen fourteen examples of 5" rims; four examples sold through German eBay during the summer of 2012, Michael Cahsel generally has a couple for sale, FAQ member uai (very active on the German club's forum and a true authority on 02 period rims!) has a set a four 5" Alpina steel rims currently listed for sale on this forum (as of 5-3-13), and hoffman2002's very early set of Alpina steelies presented in this thread on December 7, 2013.

7. I came across several references to 6.5" Borrani rims with an ET6 offset, but I have not yet seen a photograph of a rim marked thusly or a model number that might relate to a 6.5", ET6 rim. Thus, I cannot confirm whether ET6 represents an additional model of 6.5" rim or is simply a mis-measurement of an ET8 rim. If all other rim dimensions are equal, it hardly seems necessary -- in my opinion -- to produce a separate model solely for the sake of 2 mm less offset.

8. I have collected 8 examples (2 sets of 4 rims) of rims that have the double-hump, or "H2," design for their tire races. One set is dated April 1979; the other set is dated December 1983. I point this out solely to emphasize that CMR was "updating" these rims, without changing the model numbers, late in their production cycle. The benefit of an H2 rim is, purportedly, that a tire will be less likely to break its bead (and deflate) under severe cornering or service; thus, the German TUV requires a tube for "non-H2" rims but permits H2 rims to be operated without a tube. See also my entry below, in this string, initially dated 7-26-12.

Post or send me your photos and data!

Regards,

Steve

5A12F276-D31F-459A-A0BD-27F516B02A8C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So Can We Call Them "Alpina Steelies"?

When I hear someone referring to the early-style OEM alloy rims as "tii alloys" or something similar, I cringe because the label is not founded in facts and it mis-represents, I believe, the relationship of those alloys to all 02's of that era. So what is the "cringe factor" when someone refers to CMR steel rims with round cut-outs as "Alpina steelies"?

Actually, that cringe factor appears to be nil, indeed! I've seen and heard anecdotal evidence that Alpina designed the round cut-out rims, but always dismissed it as an urban myth. And I can't specifically answer the design issue.

But, and I believe this is significant, the "owner" of the ABE (Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis, a sort of "operating permit" that goes along with the KBA number and verifies to the German TUV that the rim is a permissible modification of the car) is "Bovensiepen/Buchloe". This comes from a string on the BMW 02 Club e.V.'s forum, in a posting by "Frank", dated January 11, 2005. If my German-English translation app is correct, he accessed a database of KBA numbers and it reported "ABE 40005: Felgen 5 1/2x13, Typ R1-440, ABE Inhaber ist Bovensiepen/Buchloe". You may recognize the model number, R1-440, "Typ R1-440", from my summary of findings posted previously.

http://forum.bmw-02-club.de/board_entry.php?id=15800&da=DESC&page=0&order=time&descasc=DESC&category=all

In other words, this would say that Alpina ("Bovensiepen/Buchloe") obtained the legal certification for, at minimum, the 5 1/2" rims with round cut-outs. Thus, they are bona fide "Alpina steelies"!  In addition, as I have mentioned previously, CMR appears to have been producing the 13" Alpina steelies at the same time Lemmerz was producing 14" Alpina steelies for the NK cars.  The styles are virtually identical.  This also suggests to me that Alpina "owned" the distinctive style.

It does not, however, address some additional information, two instances — outliers, I suspect — in which the round cut-out rims are marketed without the Alpina name. Two examples:

In this string, on 6-25-12, C.D. posted some ads for (generally) Italian-made auto accessories of the '70s. The last image in his posting is of a 1972 ad for FAZA, a retailer of such accessories. Illustrated in that ad -- you must look carefully -- is a stack of 4 Alpina steelies, but they are being sold as "Boranni (sic) 5 1/2x13" Steel -- 1/2" outset" with a price of $26.50 each.

Second, there is a listing of "Vintage aftermarket accessories" that many of us have viewed (after opening the link, you'll have to scroll down to get to the aftermarket accessories):

http://www.parkitecture.org/tiigarage/accessories.html

Although the above link claims to have "Descriptions from original literature", I have not personally seen the actual period source(s) and therefore cannot verify the accuracy of the title and text shown -- it makes reference to Borrani and not to Alpina -- but the period photo certainly shows an "Alpina" rim with a BMW emblem on the center cap, not an Alpina emblem or an emblem-less center cap as I've typically seen in Alpina ads.

My conclusion based on what I've seen thus far: Alpina might not have been averse to allowing others -- perhaps only the manufacturer, CMR/Borrani -- to market "Alpina's" rims. Or perhaps CMR/Borrani, as a provision of their business arrangement with Alpina, was provided with these marketing rights from the outset.

That's it for now.

Regards,

Steve

I took a look at the set I have in storage. Round hole, chrome center cap with alpina logo. On 2 of the 3 rims I could easily pull out and check, the imprint was R1 440 and 5 1/2 X 13. No date or manufacturing information. The third rim had no makings at all. Rims are mounted with tires, so there may be more information under the tire. Thanks for starting this thread, I've been wondering about these wheels (alpina or not) for a long time.

I took a look at the set I have in storage. Round hole, chrome center cap with alpina logo. On 2 of the 3 rims I could easily pull out and check, the imprint was R1 440 and 5 1/2 X 13. No date or manufacturing information. The third rim had no makings at all. Rims are mounted with tires, so there may be more information under the tire. Thanks for starting this thread, I've been wondering about these wheels (alpina or not) for a long time.

Thanks, John.

I've already seen Alpina steelies with only the model number, R1-440, and rim size on the face. Based solely on the trend towards greater information on later rims, I suspect -- but can't yet verify -- that the rims without dates on the face are early, perhaps '71 or even earlier. The presence of the CMR model number, in my mind at least, is proof that these are, indeed, CMR rims, and thus Alpina steelies. I've not yet seen a CMR steel rim with no face markings, but if it is, in fact, identical to the R1-440s, I would suspect it is bona fide CMR. Since steel rims of this type are generally marked, the absence of face stampings makes me think that markings under the tire are likely.

Thanks for contributing this info. If you ever have reason to remove one or more of the tires, it would be great to hear what you find.

Regards,

Steve

Edit at 1-17-13: I have now seen a "bare" CMR rim (Borrani), i.e., without any face markings. It was, however, marked on the tire race, and it is very early: April 1968. So some, I believe all, of these "unmarked" rims may be, in fact, marked, albeit under any mounted tires.

Edit at 12-7-13: And we now have four more examples of CMR rims (Alpina), dated October 1967, which have no face markings but are marked on the tire races. So, early CMR's may be without face markings.

Edited by Conserv

Thanks, John.

I've already seen Alpina steelies with only the model number, R1-440, and rim size on the face. Based solely on the trend towards greater information on later rims, I suspect -- but can't yet verify -- that the rims without dates on the face are early, perhaps '71 or even earlier. The presence of the CMR model number, in my mind at least, is proof that these are, indeed, CMR rims, and thus Alpina steelies. I've not yet seen a CMR steel rim with no face markings, but if it is, in fact, identical to the R1-440s, I would suspect it is bona fide CMR. Since steel rims of this type are generally marked, the absence of face stampings makes me think that markings under the tire are likely.

Thanks for contributing this info. If you ever have reason to remove one or more of the tires, it would be great to hear what you find.

Regards,

Steve

Mine were powder coated by the previous owner, and I'd guess that the one not showing a stamp does indeed have a very light stamp that the powder coating filled. If the tires ever come off I will let you know what I find. I put new tires on a couple of years ago, but then promptly switched wheels because parallel parking with 205s was a workout and I was, perhaps foolishly, worried that the "alpinas" might be stolen. I wish I had looked at the rims when the tires were off!

(Last edited 1-28-13)

Very "Late" Borrani (CMR) Rims

I just saw photos of December 1983 examples of Borrani (CMR) rims in the R1-528 model (6Jx13, ET17). This extends the known production range of these Borrani steel rims by three years over the range previously-demonstrated in this data collection effort. Bear in mind that this model was in production at least as early as February 1971.

Moreover, these are the first double-hump ("H2") Borranis I've collected. What's that you say? An H2 rim has a pair of shallow humps in the tire race, one each next to the inner and outer lips. These humps are, as I understand it, designed to help prevent a mounted tire from "breaking its bead" -- thus, losing its air pressure -- during extreme cornering or service. A rim without double humps -- i.e., without the H2 designation -- is required to use a tube under the German TUV rules. (Here in the U.S., we're more relaxed in our attitude toward tire and rim safety: having lived in states requiring and not requiring annual automotive safety inspections, I still can't imagine a U.S. governmental authority asking me to install tubes on tubeless tires because my rims lack the double hump! Have I simply led a sheltered life?)

In conclusion, CMR updated/improved this model (without it becoming a new model) late in its production run, enabling it to be used without a tube under the stringent German TUV rules.

EDIT: I have also now seen a set of Borrani rims in the R1-485 model (5 1/2Jx13, ET22), dated April 1979, and having the H2 "double-hump" design in the rims' tire races. So if you're looking for a set of Borrani rims that will pass TUV inspection without internal tubes, look for late rims, perhaps 1979 and later!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv