• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

Conserv
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

They should be marked R1-528 (ET17) or R1-561 (ET30): both ET's appear to work on 2002's.

Regards,

Steve

That's a great bit of information! Like you've likely read before I have two sets of 13x6 et30, one from '74 and another '80, but I have one odd 5th wheel in the lesser offset. It doesn't have any direct etXX number like the et30 of my others. Now I can compare your numbers above to bee sure if it's an et17 or other.

Learn something new every day!

THANKS!

Oh, and of course I'll let everyone know if my odd 13x6 CMR wheel is anything other than et17 (I.E. what the R1-5xx number is).

Thanks, Tom. Yes, your 2 sets of ET30 rims were already in my database with their respective dates. I'm going to assume they are R1-561's unless you tell me differently. And I'll bet your "other" rim is a R1-528. Maybe you can also check the date on that "other" rim?

Thanks again,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Some pics I have

Not mine

359a1dc9.jpg

Daniel,

Is there any possibility you can read the other stamped data -- manufacturer, size, model number -- on your best version of this photo (of the 12/67 Alpina rim)?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Some pics I have

Not mine

3820a46c.jpg

The above-pictured wheel, although obviously and thoroughly an Alpina steelie, could be an NK wheel, i.e., 14". I'm comparing it to a 6x14 Alpina wheel pictured at:

http://www.klangfuzzi.com/fotos/frieder/photos/19adf16e047b6e6a073a762876af2a8b.jpg

I found this citation in an FAQ entry by stempsy, dated 8-16-09, titled "[Wanted] 6x14 alpina steel wheel..."

The format of the wheel's date stamp, month placed over year without slash or hyphen, and the positioning of the date immediately to the left of the all-caps "ALPINA" imprint, suggest the above-pictured wheel and the reference wheel are of the same manufacture. This reference wheel appears to be dated 3/70, or something similar. Further, although the photo does not have sufficient resolution to confirm it, the manufacturer's mark certainly looks like "Lemmerz." And the model number, "1407," is consistent with many 4-digit Lemmerz model numbers. (I'm slightly confused by the wheel-size imprint, fuzzy due to picture resolution: it looks closer to 6x13, or even 5x13, than 6x14.)

I'm confident that one or more of this forum's readers can easily confirm -- by memory or a walk to their garage -- whether their NK Alpina steelies are "Lemmerz" or other. NK wheels, i.e., anything larger than 13" wheels, are beyond my present scope but my present data collection effort demands that I evaluate examples rather than simply assume they are 02 wheels.

Thanks for your time and all your input and photos!

Regards,

Steve

Edit on 7-4-12: Subsequent to the above posting of June 23, I found three unambiguous references to NK Alpina steelies, all confirming examples of Lemmerz-manufactured rims, model number "1407," marked "Alpina," and in the 6x14 size. While this leads me to believe that the above rim (in the photo) is likely to be 6x14, it does not necessarily prove that these early Alpina rims, by Lemmerz, were manufactured solely in the 6x14 size. Although these Lemmerz-manufactured (i.e., non-CMR) rims were not the subject of my initial data gathering, I am currently collecting what I am able to regarding them just in case they were manufactured in a 13" size for 2002's. Stated differently, could Lemmerz or another company have manufactured Alpina steelies for 2002's before or even after CMR began production of them? Or is history as simple as: NK Alpina steelies were manufactured by Lemmerz and 2002 Alpina steelies were manufactured by CMR?

Edited by Conserv

Here's info on my set:

CMR 10/78

6Jx13ET30

KBA 40073

R1-561

triangle holes

What does KBA 40073 mean?

Karl

Thank you, Karl. That's just what I need. I don't yet know the answer to your "KBAXXXXX.." question (Edit: see bottom of this posting for more info). I've thus far only seen it on the latest wheels -- '78 and later. I have some suspicion it relates to German TUV standards, perhaps one of our European contributors can confirm or deny that suspicion!

Regards,

Steve

Edit on 7-19-12: KBA stands for Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt, which is the German Federal Motor Transport Authority. Among other things, the KBA approves aftermarket vehicle parts. The KBA number is a five-digit number: for rims it begins with a 4 as in "4xxxx"; for steering wheels it begins with a 7 as in "7xxxx". The numbers following the initial number appear to be merely sequential, based on the date of submission or approval of the application. This doesn't address why I have only thus far seen KBA stampings on '78 and later wheels -- perhaps the stamping requirement was new at that time.

Edited by Conserv

Steve,

Thanks for the info! It's great that you're pulling this together. c.d.'s post reminded me that I have some info that came with my wheels. Here's the first page of the Miller & Norburn sales flyer. I can email the full pdf (7 pages) to anyone who is interested.

Karl

Here's info on my set:

CMR 10/78

6Jx13ET30

KBA 40073

R1-561

triangle holes

What does KBA 40073 mean?

Karl

Thank you, Karl. That's just what I need. I don't yet know the answer to your "KBAXXXXX.." question. I've thus far only seen it on the latest wheels -- '78 and later. I have some suspicion it relates to German TUV standards, perhaps one of our European contributors can confirm or deny that suspicion!

Regards,

Steve

Edit: KBA stands for Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt, which is the German Federal Motor Transport Authority. Among other things, the KBA approves vehicle parts. This doesn't address (1.) whether there is a "meaning" to the numbers following KBA or whether they are simply sequential for items being examined by the KBA, or (2.) why I have only thus far seen KBA stampings on '78 and later wheels -- perhaps the stamping requirement was new at that time.

post-300-13667661706037_thumb.jpg

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Thanks, C.D.

I get such a thrill when I see these 40-year-old prices. I think, just for a second, that I can afford these goodies...4 Campy's at $62.50 each? Sign me up!

And that 7x13 Campy, at $125, is twice the 5 1/2" Campy (and at least six times a stock, ca. 1973, OEM steel rim)!

Do you have a date for the last sheet you've reproduced, the last Campagnolo, Abarth, Faza ad? Not only does it show a listing for "A)--Boranni [sic] 5 1/2x13" Steel--1/2" outset," and the price, $26.50, but it illustrates a round-hole wheel -- we'd probably call it an Alpina -- under the Borrani name, FWIW!

Great stuff!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Steve,

Thanks for the info! It's great that you're pulling this together. c.d.'s post reminded me that I have some info that came with my wheels. Here's the first page of the Miller & Norburn sales flyer. I can email the full pdf (7 pages) to anyone who is interested.

Karl

Thanks, Karl. I'd love a PDF copy of the entire Miller & Norburn flyer:

khfstc AT aol DOT com

This ad appeared before in the forum -- you may well have posted it -- and I didn't know the source. And I used it as another confirmation of the model numbers for the 6x13 ET30 (R1-561) and 6.5x13 ET8 (R1-581) wheels. I thought it might be a whole-page ad from the Roundel but I couldn't find it there. This clears up my source question! Do you happen to know the date of the flyer?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Email sent - document attached.

Steve,

Karl

Thanks, Karl. I'd love a PDF copy of the entire Miller & Norburn flyer:

khfstc AT aol DOT com

This ad appeared before in the forum -- you may well have posted it -- and I didn't know the source. And I used it as another confirmation of the model numbers for the 6x13 ET30 (R1-561) and 6.5x13 ET8 (R1-581) wheels. I thought it might be a whole-page ad from the Roundel but I couldn't find it there. This clears up my source question! Do you happen to know the date of the flyer?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

Here's pictures I took this weekend of my 5th Borrani, the one with the deeper offset.

R1-528, so it appears to be et17

P1020657.jpg

6JJX13

P1020658.jpg

10/72

P1020659.jpg

CMR

P1020661.jpg

CMR and other size markings inside the rim...

P1020664.jpg

Whole wheel

P1020663.jpg

P1020655.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Here's pictures I took this weekend of my 5th Borrani, the one with the deeper offset.

R1-528, so it appears to be et17

Thanks, Tom. I've added it to my database of dated examples, which I'm planning to summarize next week when I'm back home.

Regards,

Steve

Mine:

R1/528

KBA 40008

6JX13ET 17

CMR 1/79

Triangular holes

I appreciate that someone is recording this information. Maybe it will assist a new generation of 02 owners.

Best Regards,

"Z"

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt