• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

Conserv
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

On 11/13/2015 at 4:52 PM, codigoRojo said:

I didn't read carefully enough. He said 6x14 and I thought 6x13. If they're 14 inchers then they're probably NK wheels and very likely 6 inches wide. Those would be good to have on an 02.

We’ve listed the 6x14 Alpina steelies manufactured by Lemmerz in the NK Wheels Database, because they were originally designed and manufactured for the NK sedans. But, yes, these would be good to have on an ‘02 and perhaps we should also list them in the ‘02 Wheels Database.

6x14, ET 17.5

They were built to hold up to racing, but, yes, they are also quite heavy!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I will add another data point or two to this discussion. My Alpina '02, built in the Alpina shop in July, 1970, has the 5 1/2 x 13 wheels, stamped 13X5 1/2 and R1-440. No date code or manufacturer stamp. Also pictured below are snips from an Alpina catalog that came with the docs I got with the car. 

Alpina wheel 03a.jpg

Alpina_wheel_catalog01.JPG

Alpina_wheel_catalog.JPG

Edited by skyking96w
deleted duplicate info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1971 Alpina 2002

=00=

39 minutes ago, skyking96w said:

I will add another data point or two to this discussion. My Alpina '02, built in the Alpina shop in July, 1970, has the 5 1/2 x 13 wheels, stamped 13X5 1/2 and R1-440. No date code or manufacturer stamp. Also pictured below are snips from an Alpina catalog that came with the docs I got with the car. 

Alpina wheel 03a.jpg

Alpina_wheel_catalog01.JPG

Alpina_wheel_catalog.JPG

Much appreciated, skyking!

Next time you change a tire or tires, check the barrels for dates, model numbers, and anything else that might be stamped there. If you find anything, please photograph and share with us.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2016 at 8:34 AM, saaron said:

... I don't think John posted them on this thread; it appears that John buys these things monthly, like I buy cereal....

I was looking for a particular post buried in the (too) many pages of this CMR thread and found lots of good humor herein, this being just one of many instances.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just got my set in the mail:

13x5.5

R1/485

2/74

They’ll need a blast and repaint so it’ll be a while until they are installed, but I’m pleased to join the club.

FFC9D84A-FC3D-45B9-8709-B73CDBDFF9A6.thumb.jpeg.ce17ef55f1918bc9655fdbb24fa5d0bd.jpeg

97151DC7-60AA-4FB3-BCED-61C30B65C9F9.thumb.jpeg.a12f200797f36584333f6f1bd2499745.jpeg

As a side note, this will be the fourth set of wheels I’ve put on this car in 3 years; I’ve decreased in size from 15” to 14” and now these 13”. Sounds nuts when I say it out loud....

Edited by 1dollar93
  • Like 10

11 hours ago, 1dollar93 said:

As a side note, this will be the fourth set of wheels I’ve put on this car in 3 years; I’ve decreased in size from 15” to 14” and now these 13”. Sounds nuts when I say it out loud....

Nice wheels! You will be happy with them.

Not nuts at all, you have to try different combinations to get a feel for what works for you. Photos only go so far. You have to get the visceral feel for the wheels when installed on YOUR car, seeing it as you walk up to it, or driving by. Etc.

I like the looks of some of the larger diameter wheels (still love 15in panasports) but after 20 years of ownership I have locked down on 13inch borrani for both of my 02s.  I'd love to have a set of 15inch H&B alloys to see what I think but don't believe that will happen.

Jason

• Like 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

36 minutes ago, D.martijn said:

I also have a set of Borranis, 13in 5.5, bought a full set for....20€! crazy deal.

I was wondering though, would it be a good idea to get these zincplated as well, before painting?

Anyone tried this before, has some insight on this.?

First off, that sounds like some really smart shopping you did! ? How would you like to double your money — sure, I’m talking 40€! Don’t worry, I’ll take care of the shipping... ?

But seriously, what is your goal? Zinc plating sounds like a terrible base for paint. Powdercoating or media-blasting followed by primer and paint should last 20-30 years even if the car or the rims are kept unprotected and outdoors. The factory paint on most rims — including Borrani steelies— was thinly and quickly applied. When not on a car, rims were routinely stored in a damp corner of a garage or basement.  Simply re-painting them thoughfully represents an enormous improvement over their factory finish.

But... if you’re looking to preserve them 50 years out, I’d say have them media-blasted and E-coated (it’s kind of like re-plating, but with paint, not metal), and then have them primed and painted.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

First off, that sounds like some really smart shopping you did! ? How would you like to double your money — sure, I’m talking 40€! Don’t worry, I’ll take care of the shipping... ?

But seriously, what is your goal? Zinc plating sounds like a terrible base for paint. Powdercoating or media-blasting followed by primer and paint should last 20-30 years even if the car or the rims are kept unprotected and outdoors. The factory paint on most rims — including Borrani steelies— was thinly and quickly applied. When not on a car, rims were routinely stored in a damp corner of a garage or basement.  Simply re-painting them thoughfully represents an enormous improvement over their factory finish.

But... if you’re looking to preserve them 50 years out, I’d say have them media-blasted and E-coated (it’s kind of like re-plating, but with paint, not metal), and then have them primed and painted.

Regards,

Steve

Hahaha naah, I'd rather put them on my Touring than make a quick sale ;)

I mean, some extra protection cant hurt right? Especially in the seam.

When I restored my Golf mk1, some kinde of sealant/stuff oozed out from the seam when powdercoating the rims.

Since ithose wheels got completly sandblasted, some minor rust started to form where the powdercoated couldn't fully reach. (It's an industrial compny, no specific wheel repair shop, maybe that's why?)

I'm definitely gonna paint the borrani's, just want to be sure they don't start rusting between the barrel and face..

Edited by D.martijn

5 hours ago, D.martijn said:

Hahaha naah, I'd rather put them on my Touring than make a quick sale ;)

I mean, some extra protection cant hurt right? Especially in the seam.

When I restored my Golf mk1, some kinde of sealant/stuff oozed out from the seam when powdercoating the rims.

Since ithose wheels got completly sandblasted, some minor rust started to form where the powdercoated couldn't fully reach. (It's an industrial compny, no specific wheel repair shop, maybe that's why?)

I'm definitely gonna paint the borrani's, just want to be sure they don't start rusting between the barrel and face..

That seam between barrel and center disk has always been a problem. It’s made much worse when the media-blaster — whether it’s powdercoating or painting — doesn’t focus on getting it clean. I have both powdercoated and painted rims that show no deterioration in the area in 10, 15, and even 40 years.  I don’t know the secret other than to “focus” on that area when media-blasting.

I believe there is an acid dip prior to E-coating that cleans that area out and E-coating doesn’t go on in thick coats, like powdercoating and painting. So.... E-coat and then apply thin coats of primer and paint take you to rim perfection!

Regards,

Steve

Upping my offer to 80€: quadruple your money, impress your friends.... ?

So what's more coveted - the Round-Holes or the Triangle-Holes? Or, is it all in the eyes of the Be-Hole-der? Let's get this controversy started! ?

On 1/21/2020 at 9:06 PM, 1dollar93 said:

I just got my set in the mail:

13x5.5

R1/485

2/74

They’ll need a blast and repaint so it’ll be a while until they are installed, but I’m pleased to join the club.

FFC9D84A-FC3D-45B9-8709-B73CDBDFF9A6.thumb.jpeg.ce17ef55f1918bc9655fdbb24fa5d0bd.jpeg

97151DC7-60AA-4FB3-BCED-61C30B65C9F9.thumb.jpeg.a12f200797f36584333f6f1bd2499745.jpeg

Edited by golf73

9 hours ago, golf73 said:

So what's more coveted - the Round-Holes or the Triangle-Holes? Or, is it all in the eyes of the Be-Hole-der? Let's get this controversy started! ?

The round-hole CMR rims (marketed solely by Alpina who also “owned” the design) are much rarer than the triangular-hole CMR rims (marketed generally under the Borrani brand name, Ruote Borrani being a division of CMR). Same CMR quality. Same good looks. Same heavy weight.

The Alpina steelies were only available in 5” and 5 1/2” sizes. Borrani steelies were available in 5”, 5 1/2”, 6”, and 6 1/2” sizes. Obviously one could “band“ or re-barrel either style to achieve your desired width. But, frankly, I have not yet seen Alpina steelies that were widened, whereas I’ve seen quite a few widened Borrani steelies, some to as much as 9”.

Frankly, it’s a win-win decision: either rim is gorgeous, as long as you’re not trying to reduce weight!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The round-hole CMR rims (marketed solely by Alpina who also “owned” the design) are much rarer than the triangular-hole CMR rims (marketed generally under the Borrani brand name, Ruote Borrani being a division of CMR). Same CMR quality. Same heavy weight. Same good looks.

Not the answer I was hopin' for, Steve! Totally disappointed ?. I like the ALPINA round holes better.

The Alpina steelies were only available in 5” and 5 1/2” sizes. Borrani steelies were available in 5”, 5 1/2”, 6”, and 6 1/2” sizes. Obviously one could “band“ or re-barrel either style to achieve your desired width. But, frankly, I have not yet seen any Alpina steelies that were widened, whereas I’ve seen quite a few Borrani steelies, widened to as much as 9”.

No need for me to go wider than 5", so another reason to not care as much about the Borrani's (but WOW what a name...visions of 1966 Ferrari 330 GT's fill my head....wires with triple-eared knockoffs, fat tires...

Frankly, it’s a win-win decision: either rim is gorgeous, as long as you’re not trying to reduce weight!

Sure. Going on a diet was not one of my New Year's Resolutions. And I don't want "performance" in a wheel, cuz I'm a wheel whore and I can find tires for any wheel I want. But, me still likey round hole better.

Best regards,

Steve

All the best,

Ryan

Edited by golf73
  • Haha 1