• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina and Borrani (CMR) 13” Steel Rims

Conserv
Go to solution Solved by Conserv,

• 2 months later...

Picked up another nice set recently, these are going on my 02 as soon as they get repainted. I wanted to post them because referring to you data sheet these appear to be from the earliest month that you have found for this model and size, is that still the case or have you located earlier ones? Love this thread Steve! Here is the info and pics:

13 X 6jj

R1-561

CMR

3/72

258bd0bc66ff415fa945ce704dea0a5e.jpg

7a62cd2373936ba907287282fec1cf36.jpg

1f3ad9b31ed19136dc3999ee093bfca6.jpg

73d588500d690dd30e651fe400bb23c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by NowhereFast

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

On 1/15/2016 at 0:24 PM, NowhereFast said:

Picked up another nice set recently, these are going on my 02 as soon as they get repainted. I wanted to post them because referring to you data sheet these appear to be from the earliest month that you have found for this model and size, is that still the case or have you located earlier ones? Love this thread Steve! Here is the info and pics:

6jj x 13 ET 30

R1-561

CMR

3/72258bd0bc66ff415fa945ce704dea0a5e.jpg7a62cd2373936ba907287282fec1cf36.jpg1f3ad9b31ed19136dc3999ee093bfca6.jpg73d588500d690dd30e651fe400bb23c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your continuing contributions to the thread, John.

And congratulations on another great find!

That's a beautiful set of rims. It does appear -- based on the crispness of the stamped markings -- that it could be an original finish. Yet it isn't the grayish-beige color we often see on early original-finish Borrani steelies. Bead-blasted and re-painted decades ago? Or simply another factory color for Borrani steelies -- such as the black paint that seemed to characterize very late (1980-ish and later) rims? I don't know!

As to dates, somewhere in this big ol' thread I posted a "footnote" or two regarding the dating. It appears that the earliest CMR rims -- Alpina and Borrani -- were ONLY dated on the barrel, in what I sometimes refer to as the "tire race" of the rim. Thus, what I refer to as "undated" examples, in my opinion, are really dated examples that:

a.) only have dates on the barrel, not on the face of the rim; and

b.) currently have tires mounted, so that we can't view those dates.

There are another, say, 50, "undated" examples in my database, so I suspect that these may have earlier dates than the "dated" examples captured by the matrix. Stated differently, if someone showed me an R-561 with no face markings but a 1971 date on the barrel, I would not be shocked.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

here is a set of 6.5's (4x100 ET8) on Ebay (DE), not too pricey at the moment, and about a day and some change left on the auction.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Borrani-CMR-Felgen-Kadett-C-Golf-Ascona-BMW-2002-02-ti-NSU-TT-4x100-6-5x13-ET8-/262226097776?hash=item3d0de4b670:g:SE0AAOSw5dNWjCH3

is it me, or do they look a lot wider than 6.5"? Reckon they've been banded but could be wrong. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

On 1/17/2016 at 5:19 PM, arminyack said:

Perhaps not a complete steal at $662 plus shipping, but certainly not stupid money for a set of four 6.5" Borrani rims -- or whatever size they are!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Perhaps not a complete steal at $662 plus shipping, but certainly not stupid money for a set of four 6.5" Borrani rims -- or whatever size they are!

Regards,

Steve

That's the problem....too many unknowns for this amount of money. God knows what you might see when this show up at your doorstep!

That's the problem....too many unknowns for this amount of money. God knows what you might see when this show up at your doorstep!

I'm not sure I'm following...

What are the potential issues besides them appearing extra deep dish in photos? The wheels don't look like they've ever been taken apart and welded. They are simple steel wheels, so I don't see much to go wrong.

Daniel/Mojojoy's wheels are the same dimensions, and they look super deep dish as seen in the photo I included.

As for the price, maybe it wasn't a steal, but it was a good deal. Even replica spoked Alpina wheels bring $1,000, and they are way more common. 

post-38884-0-94536200-1453090491_thumb.j

Edited by BMWnKTM

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

On January 17, 2016 at 11:19 PM, arminyack said:

Are they bent? are they truly all the same? Is the lip on both sides ok on all four?

I've bought a bunch of rims over the years, many from abroad. As long as you ask the right questions and get decent photos, there's not a lot of risk. Both steel and alloy rims are generally repairable.

The only time I've been burned thus far -- buying two Borrani rims that could NOT be made true, by any rim shop -- was a pair of ex-snow-tire rims I purchased out of (Northern) California. The guy only provided me one photo of one of the rims. And, because I knew Borrani rims to be tank-like, I took the risk. So, yes, there is such a thing as an un-repairable rim. If I had seen complete photos of these two bad Borrani's, I wouldn't have bought them. One of them is now a hose reel for a guy at the third shop to declare the rims dead on arrival. I take some solace in that.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 7 months later...
On 1/16/2016 at 6:35 AM, Conserv said:

if someone showed me an R-561 with no face markings but a 1971 date on the barrel, I would not be shocked.

Well, Steve... prepared not to be shocked :)

Just in from Germany... R-561, no date stamp on face, but 71 on the barrel. Leave it to me to find the odd ducks.  (note, the bead you see at the seam is silicone...not sure why?)  They are heavily painted and the stamps are hard to see.  I'll get them blasted and hopefully not blur the stamps too much.

Face stamps:

13x6JJ

R-561

E-30MM

CMR

Barrel stamp: (three are stamped with a C suffix, one is stamped with an R suffix  ?)

13 X 6 JJ  CMR  2  71  C

Borannis.jpg

Boranni stamp.jpg

Boranni stamp C.jpg Boranni stamp R.jpg

Too bad they don't exactly match the one on the spare of the "next project"  but they'll do :)

Ed Z

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

14 hours ago, zinz said:

Well, Steve... prepared not to be shocked :)

Just in from Germany... R-561, no date stamp on face, but 71 on the barrel. Leave it to me to find the odd ducks.  (note, the bead you see at the seam is silicone...not sure why?)  They are heavily painted and the stamps are hard to see.  I'll get them blasted and hopefully not blur the stamps too much.

Face stamps:

13x6JJ

R-561

E-30MM

CMR

Barrel stamp: (three are stamped with a C suffix, one is stamped with an R suffix  ?)

13 X 6 JJ  CMR  2  71  C

Borannis.jpg

Boranni stamp.jpg

Boranni stamp C.jpg Boranni stamp R.jpg

Too bad they don't exactly match the one on the spare of the "next project"  but they'll do :)

Ed Z

Congrats, Ed!

The C and R suffixes?  Not a clue!  I have also never seen an "E-30MM" stamping.  ET's rarely appear before ca. 1975-ish, when they appeared to have been mandated by some European authority, as ET's suddenly start appearing on lots of rims!  And then they are generally stamped "ET - 30".

So is the silicone "gap-closer" under or over the silver paint?

All in all, a nice set -- if a bit "differently marked"!  ?

Thanks for posting.  I'll throw them in the database!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Thanks, Steve.  I hope they work out well.  

The silicone is painted over.  I have no idea why it's there?  I had to ask the seller to confirm it wasn't a weld...which would have been a disaster.  

I was lucky to find a German seller who was willing to work with a US buyer.  Nice guy who went to a lot of effort to get the tires off and boxing them up.  I'm happy to have them.  

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool