• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Debating what to do with an 02

lilcphoto

I have a 1974 BMW 2002 that I acquired from a family friend. She recently had the engine rebuilt, and it looks as though the owner prior to her had the transmission replaced. I know it has been in a front end collision as the paint is not matching up. The hood is yellow, and behind the headlights I found Malaga Red, as well as parts of Verona (when the car was originally Fjord).

It is currently painted black, but there are quite a few paint chips all around, as well as the roof and the trunk are quite sun damaged. My friend and I tried polishing compound and got the surfaces much smoother than they were, but there are quite a few places that need to be addressed. I purchased a universal black touch up paint pen that I figured I would use to touch up some spots, however there are also issues with the body (a little rust under the rear driver side windshield, the rear passenger side has some spider cracks, bad respray all around)

I am currently living in a space that doesn't have a garage, but actively looking for a new home. I have been able to tackle the little problems while over at a friends house (such as the reverse lights not being connected, or the trunk not locking, etc.), but not so much the things that take a longer amount of time (such as the ball joints, bushings, or interior overhaul).

I am at a stand still when it comes to what I should continue to do to the car. Seeing as though the previous owner refreshed the engine, but didn't do any performance upgrades I consider it a great daily driver. The interior at one point had been replaced with a 75/76's and with the body damage I never expect this car to be original. Part of me would like to reupholster the interior (black), repaint the car (most likely black again), and upgrade the suspension... but the other part of me thinks it would be much better to find myself a Tii to spend all of this money on, as it would be much more rewarding, both for me, and for the car.

Can anybody help me steer into the right direction?

471596_3272087045354_1478088656_o.jpg

412969_3272088805398_540785091_o.jpg

576709_3272090725446_2074793394_n.jpg

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

If you like the car, the crash was fixed properly and there are no serious rust issues I would say keep it! A tii is a really nice car it's a little bit more collectible but restoring a kugelfischer is expensive. Keep that in mind really expensive.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

yes, but do you think I should spend the money to replace the interior/carpeting, as well as repainting the exterior?

Should I consider spending the money on the suspension/replacing the bushings?

Signature

I would do the mechanicals before anything 'cosmetic' like the interior. Rust is a bit different as 'a stitch in time saves 9' but get it to the point you love driving it. That will encourage you to do all of the other stuff.

You can do a surprising amount at the side of the road but it does range with your determination (and weather!)

Stay strong!

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I would do the mechanicals before anything 'cosmetic' like the interior. Rust is a bit different as 'a stitch in time saves 9' but get it to the point you love driving it. That will encourage you to do all of the other stuff.

You can do a surprising amount at the side of the road but it does range with your determination (and weather!)

Stay strong!

That is just it... the mechanics are all good... engine was just rebuilt, transmission replaced, rear bearings and front ball joint is good... it's a solid daily driver.

the suspension bits are optional (though I would love it if it handled as good as new). I've done quite a bit without the use of a garage, including but not limited to: complete stereo install, fabricated a new center console, rear parcel tray, and trunk storage box, fixed the windshield washer fluid reservoir, as well as the reverse lights and licence plate lights...

I am all for keeping the car, but my main concern is to spend the money to fix it up, or don't pour any more money into it until I find a Tii worth pouring money into.

I would get a sharpie and fill in the chips then drive the heck out of it!

I am pretty sure the previous owner did just that! I took the touch-up paint to all the spots I could find today, we'll see how it turns out.

Signature

I'm going to go a little against the grain here. My perspective is that if you are asking these questions and wanting a tii, we'll that means this car is not exactly what you want. Before you start attempting to make a car much better and doing interior cosmetic stuff you, etc, etc want to be committed to the color, the model and the car. It doesn't sound like you are. You are never going to get money back you put in - so sell it to someone who will drive it as is and be happy with it - then take your money and sink int into the car you really want and will "never" sell....

Aaron

1972 2002

Why will no one tell him the truth???!!!....... Sigh..... this car is nothing but trouble..... Youre "friend" did not like you very much?? did you sleep with there sister?.... just drop it off to me in Pasadena, Ca. and it wont bother you again!!!!

Scott B.

1969 2002, 1972 2002, 1967 1600, 2001 540It

I'm going to go a little against the grain here. My perspective is that if you are asking these questions and wanting a tii, we'll that means this car is not exactly what you want. Before you start attempting to make a car much better and doing interior cosmetic stuff you, etc, etc want to be committed to the color, the model and the car. It doesn't sound like you are. You are never going to get money back you put in - so sell it to someone who will drive it as is and be happy with it - then take your money and sink int into the car you really want and will "never" sell....

This is actually the best advice of the lot. You have to be prepared to 'write off' any money you do spend on it. It is not a descision based on economic rationality and so, if this really isn't the car that you want, it might not be worth trying to make a square peg fit a round hole.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

and rust never sleeps when you park it outside the rainiest

part of America!

your handling will actually inprove greatly when you finda pair of Racaro sport seats. The car does handle like mush when your falling out of

that toast drivers seat and trying to hang on

fix any suspension/brake/steering weakness first -

but only after a better inspection of this body for

the exact amount of rust or body cancer.

don't waste your money or time

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

thank you all for the advice. I have to say that I am not at all unhappy with this car. It is exactly what I want, just not in every way.

The economic perspective says if I am going to spend money to replace things, why not invest in a car that is worth restoring and will hold its value much more than a non-Tii.

It's not that I want to part with the car, I love the car. I know I will definitely keep my eyes open for a Tii in my neighborhood, but I think I'll always keep my 74 around as a daily driver. I will most likely leave the exterior alone for the most part (definitely look into the rust issue more), and perhaps find a set of decent seats at some point in its life.

When it comes to fixing things like the door seals (@$196.90 per side), or the passenger side mirror ($131), or the carpet ($300-$500) I'll save those for the Tii... again, I LOVE my little tutu, I just wanted to be reassured that it's a better bet going after a Tii to "restore" than to polish out the current 2002 I have.

474281_3169227193922_1258893393_o.jpg

Signature

First, I apologise to all of my tii friends for the following blastphemy.

If you are asking others what you should have, then you probably don't know what you want...only what you have been told you should want. Ever driven a tii? When I bought my current 02, I hadn't had one since maybe 1980, I had asked Ray Korman (google Korman Autoworks) to be on the lookout for a 72tii. He said in no uncertain terms, "forget it, upgrade a carb'd car and you can have a more powerful car, that can be maintained...almost all of the guys that know how to work on tii's are retired or dead, and there are only a handful of folks that can rebuild injectors...there's a reason that the tii engine wasn't a 20 year run...there are better, more dependable ways to go...tii's are over-rated." Wow.

If it was 1976 right now, I'd say go buy the best, a tii...plenty of parts, and plenty of mechanics (if you are in a metro area, not in western NC..remember it's 1976...) that at least THINK they can fix your tii.

Are you married? Have the perfect spouse, perfect body, makes dinner, doesn't eat all of the mushrooms, an attorney that brings home $300K a year? As Mick sang, "you cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need..." Oh baby...

Tii's are great cars. It's 2012, and we have the FAQ, and repair manuals online, and there are arguably alot of self-taught K-fish mechanics out there for help. Sometimes its better to want what you have, than have what you want.

Buy some rubber seals, and rebuild the suspension stuff; do it right, it's money well spent. Cosmetics as the love grows. Drive it for a year, and keep your eyes open for a "trade up"...but be careful what you wish for. Buy for the experience, not the investment potential.

Sorry such a long post..

Dave V. in NC

76 Nevada 02, 72 Taiga 02

74 Polaris 3.0cs, 72 Baikal 3.0csa, 72 parts car