Test drove a mini cooper today...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'll probably going say what it is already public knowledge, but here I go anyway:

1) Mini cooper owners, don't take offense is only my opinion.

2) This was a regular mini, not the supercharged model, but I can extrapolate.

I was so, so, dissapointed! I was looking forward to this ride, but I am still shaking my head. I know there are two different cars, but you have to compare it to something, nothing lives in isolation, so compared to our 2002's: NO COMPARISON! The torque curve (fun factor) is way up on both models, I had to wait a long time for something to happened! The car didn't talk to me, didn't purr, didn't put a smile on my face. Hell, I can take a stock 76 100hp (probably 75hp in a good day) 2002 and get all that! In fact I couldn't wait to get out of it and jump on my 72 38/38 02.

I was really expecting more...

The S model with all the upgrades might be a different story, but you still have the basic ride characteristic, and FWD and getting pretty close to BMW 3 pricing (with a nice 6)!

So what do you get for $20K: a "cute" car with airbags and A/C! Guys and girls: our 2002's are really underpriced! Sorry if I offended any one, it is not my intention, but I just don't get it and maybe I am in the minority here.

Michael

Guest Anonymous

it honestly feels unreal to me. my friend let me drive his and he told me to try and flip the thing and i did, and i was really just kind of blown away. . . as far as power goes, though, even the S model seems a tad underpowered.

Guest Anonymous

...when I test drove the S, I was increbibly impressed. It handled better than any 02 I've EVER driven, even gutted cars with coilovers and all sorts of custom suspension stuff. And despite the fact that for a blown motor the max torque is at a (depending on your driving style) somewhat lofty 4k rpm, that thing had PLENTY of guts.

I'd have to say that 0-60 in under 7 seconds is something that a hotted-up 02, or even an M20'd 02 could only HOPE to muster.

But the 2002 is a completely different car, in terms of suspension geometry, power characteristics (especially with high comp pistons, a hot cam, DCOEs), and that mystique that maybe the old minis have.

Some people might also consider our 2002s "cute." I doubt that factors into your sentiments about your 02s...

Just my 2 cents :)

No offense taken re: the mini comments. I think the plain ol' Cooper's a but underpowered, but then again I also think that having driven a '73 2002 with a bunch of fun mods probably skews my opinions (and yours, Mr. Quaife!!!).

Drive that S, let me know what you think!!!

Marty

Guest Anonymous

My wife has been oogling these cars since they were released. I am not against her getting one. Of course the color she wants is only availavle in the S so that is what we drove.

It handled nice. I liked the acceleration. I would need more seat time to smooth out my shifts. I stalled it when it was my turn to drive. (I usually do that once at the Car Clinics too. Really instills confidence in the student!) For a commuter car, it could be really fun. For longer trips I would want a bigger car. Real incentive to repair the AC on the M3.

She liked the way it handled, and the way it looks. She did not like the amount of plastic in the interior and was not ready to give up her "luxury" car.

Guest Anonymous

I was considering a Mini, but the dealers here have marked them WAY up. I'll have to test drive one and compare to an 02.

With the 02 it is kind of a debate about buying a ~30year old car w/o a garage to do the work myself.

Guest Anonymous

but at the auto-x events I've attended they are kicking butt! They're usually at the top of there class, beating up on E30/E36 M3's.

Phil

1970 2002

1991 E30M3

Guest Anonymous

i love the handling. its very stiff and feels like its on rails. TONS of

fun to throw around.

as far as power goes, i'd say its evenly powered, not under, but

certainly not "whoa!". its got enough to have fun, but you need to

keep it revved up pretty good to get the power when you need it,

which can suck coming out of a corner.

stock wheels ( the 17s with the sport package) and tires aren't so

great. the wheels are heavy and the tires are runflats. lots of

people ditch them in favor of the 16s and report a noticable

improvement in acceleration and handling.

as far as the interior goes, i like it for the most part. its a little

kitchy here and there, which can get annoying, and there are

some plastic parts that bug the crap out of me (i.e. the inside

door handles, and the two pillars that come down below the

toggle switches, and the stalks on both sides). the seats are fine,

nothing amazing but i commute a good 2 hours one way and

don't find them uncomfortable.

lately i've been lusting for more power. the Works kit is out,

factory warranted kit but it runs like $5500 installed, and thats for

a bump of about 40hp.

Guest Anonymous

I haven't driven the car so I can't comment there but I just have to point out that compared to the original ( which I love the looks of) its not mini at all. I think it should be called "almost mini."

Guest Anonymous

I think Mini/BMW did an excellent job of creating a new Mini. Sure it's bigger and uses LARGE wheels and tires.... but it has the "feel" of an old mini (at least the gokart like ride) albet the car is modern and doesn't leak oil, break down as often and is quiet and civilized.....

I love both of them!

WH

Guest Anonymous

...primarily because of the DSC and the heavier 17" wheels. Eventually I'll chip it, go with a smaller blower pulley, and maybe do bigger front brakes.

Then again, the car hasn't arrived yet, so I can't really speculate past what I gathered on the test drive.

Nice ride, BTW!

Marty

'73 malaga

'03 MCS indi blue/indi blue/black

Guest Anonymous

the nice thing is that you can turn it off, which i usually do if i'm going to have fun. but yeah, the S-lites are anything but. they look nice, but thats about it.

Guest Anonymous

The chips aren't worth the $... in general the $700 they charge for a ECU upgrade is worthless.

As for the Big Brakes, Yes do it the MCS needs more brake.

The smaller pulley may be a cheap upgrade for more HP. But I'm not sold that it doesn't ruin the torque curve in the process..... one reason why I'm getting the JCW kit for my car.

WH