• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to come clean about the new Porsche

Harv

So, some of you know about the 68 912 I just bought.

IMG_1221.jpg

Just let me qualify this by saying I was not on the lookout for this and this won't take away time from the 02. I MUST FINISH THE 02!

So I have this good friend out in Boise ID. He has owned this 912 for the last 25 years. He is the second owner. He bought it out of the desert CA and is rust free, original paint, and never been hit. Fresh motor about 22K ago. 160K total. Drives like a new 912. Ed has not been using it at all, and with triplets coming up on driving age...... He wanted to sell it to me with the ability to buy it back.

Offer too good to refuse as the Wise Guys would say. I told Jen, my wife, "this will be our only chance to have a vintage air cooled Porsche". So this week, while at work, in-between flights I'm on the phone, then hang up, turn to my co captain and say, "I think I just bought a Porsche". He said, "where"? Boise I said.

A day later we flew a trip into Boise! With an overnight that didn't require us to do anything till 5pm the next day! I called Ed and he met us at the airport. The car was much nicer than I had remembered.

photo1.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

So my partner went to the hotel in the van and I took the Porsche to the hotel dropping off Ed at the hospital where he works.

Here was the view out my hotel window

IMG_1223.jpg

And the next morning at Buckies

IMG_1224.jpg

But all things must come to an end and we had to eventually go back to work. I did get a shot of it with the X.

IMG_1227.jpg

So now, here it is, Friday. Tomorrow I airline to Boise, get ready, and launch early Sunday morning for Cleveland Ohio! I may go a little south and overnight at my Dad's house in Boulder Co. We will see.

Dual Webbers and points!

06/17/2012 OK,

So I made it to Boise after my week long work tour. Ed picks me up at the airport and we head to his house so I can get ready to head east.

photo1-2.jpg

In the garage making sure the vent tubing for the gas tank is intact.

It is. Here is the only corrosion I have found and it's real solid. Don't want to call it the r-word.

photo4.jpg

Man, this thing is straight!

photo1-1.jpg

Around to the rear to check on general condition of all the "stuff" under there. Time for a beer.

photo2.jpg

Yep, all looks good.

photo3.jpg

Went out to get a bunch of bottled water for the trip and took a picture in front of the house. I wish so much I had my real camera. My iPhone will have to do. Tomorrow I get up with the sun.

photo2-1.jpg

06/17/2012 On the road!

Out of the house before 7am!

IMG_1238.jpg

It's a singer. There is no perception of the rpm. Don't find myself wanting another gear. Well, maybe one between 3rd and 4th. Not to say the ratios aren't good (not like a Beatle) just some of the high, long up hill grades are a little much for it.

Still, I'm enjoying being on the road.

IMG_1239.jpg

So, my old man bladder kicked in so I stopped at this rest area. Old guy in the pic asked me if it's a Citroen!

IMG_1240.jpg

Stopped in the middle of nowhere (Utah i think). Only gas for a long ways. I payed the price. 4.69 gal for 91 oct! It was charming however.

IMG_1241.jpg

Oh!, I guess that was Idaho. Caus here comes Utah.

IMG_1242.jpg

The motor really likes 4000 and higher, but the temp tends to rise. Water is a better cooling medium.

IMG_1243.jpg

Doesn't look it, but it's up hill.

IMG_1244.jpg

It was very windy. Up to 50mph winds. Luckily they were a tail wind for me

IMG_1245.jpg

Randome Utah or Wyoming.

IMG_1246.jpg

Cool rock formations right before the big climb out of the Continental Divide Basin. Done for the day in Cheyenne WY. I'll try to get up early but we will se for tomorrow. I'd like to make Chicago but man that's 900+ miles. And I have to reset and sync the carbs as I've lost all idle.

IMG_1249.jpg

6/18/2012

Not much to add today other than a fuel leak from around the sending unit and of course it was hot as b...!

IMG_1251.jpg

Look! I'm leaving Nebraska!

IMG_1254.jpg

Iowa!

IMG_1255.jpg

Now I'm just east of Des Moines. Tired and I need richer jets. Need a set of 125's for the mains. I think I have some in my garage but that doesn't help me here! Hope to see the Chicago contingent tomorrow.

06/20/2012- Right!

So Yesterday (2/19) was full of adventure and Chicago FAQers!

First I get up and am on the road by 6:15. Find a Buckies.

IMG_1256.jpg

Drive for a few hours and call my friend Dave Mason at The Werk Shop. He tells me he has my fuel sending unit gasket and that Ben Thongsai has the Jets I need!

IMG_1257.jpg

Reading material in Iowa Men's room.

IMG_1260.jpg

Crossing the Mississippi.

IMG_1258.jpg

Roll into Chi Town. (That how ya spell it?) And make my way to the Werk Shop. Hey Dave!

IMG_1264.jpg

Sending unit out.

IMG_1262.jpg

New part in hand. 6 bucks! Cheapest Porsche part known to man. I owe Dave a beer or two.

IMG_1263.jpg

Wonder why it leaked!

IMG_1261.jpg

Open hood, insert foot!

DSC00040.jpg

Make sure they are tight!

DSC00041.jpg

So back on that flippen toll road through Chicago to Ben Thongsai's shop.

IMG_1266.jpg

Tere is a lot of stuff at Ben's! He also knows where everything is. He reached in to this Neu Klass, pulled out this box and handed me two baggies with brand new jets in them.

IMG_1267.jpg

Martin 2 egg showed up and the beer drinking commenced. Well, just one since we had to drive so I could find a hotel for the night.... Wait, That didn't sound right. You know what I mean.

Chasing Martin in his R32

IMG_1268-1.jpg

Parked in O'Hare Parking. Hey! It was only 27 bucks for the overnight!

IMG_1270-1.jpg

Went out with Ben, Martin, and their friends... aw crap, what were their names? They are getting married soon. She's German, he's Greek, and Martin is supposed to wear a Moose outfit.

Must be a Canadian thing.

IMG_1272.jpg

So I got up before 6 and got on my way! Stopped to buy gas, the most expensive gas of the trip! (EDIT: Not as expensive as that place in Idaho!)

IMG_1274.jpg

There were a bunch of people at the gas station talking about this big accident on 80/90 east. Happened at 3am and they had it closed till just an hr ago. So one guy says he's gonna run down south to 30, get to 65 and then east. Turns out a lot of other people had the same idea.

IMG_1275.jpg

This is known as Dyer consequences!

IMG_1277.jpg

So I parked in the shade here and pulled out my phone and found a Buckies that was just west of me.

IMG_1276.jpg

Ah! Air conditioning. So this is where I sit. 6 hrs from home.

photo.jpg

Finally got on the road. Came up with an alternate route to get me back on the 90, or 80, or what ever they call it. At one point I went by this foreign car repair place with a white 2002 out front! I almost stopped but I really wanted to get home.

So east bound I went.

IMG_1279.jpg

This could have been a lot better if taken with a real camera and not by the driver.

IMG_1280.jpg

Cleveland! Almost there!!!!!! Stay on target!

IMG_1282.jpg

Anna really likes the Porsche. She called it Sally. After diner we all got in it and went for ice-cream. Me, Jen, Anna and out dog Yogi. Perfect fit as Yogi weighs 6 lbs wet.

IMG_1284-1.jpg

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations John.

That will be a great drive back to Willoughby; can't wait to hear about it.

Looks like a dark Sahara or non-metallic Ceylon. he he.

Have a safe trip.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Congrats and love the road trip. I see a refreshing of those carbs in your future. Did the original Knecht (sp) brand air filters come with the purchase?

Looks like a newer Bosch "009" distributor - Pertronix inside?. EDIT - I see the green condensor wire going to the coil...

Hope the thermostat and cooling flaps are still intact and working.

Here is a nice Blue 912 in Maryland

DSC_0851.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim I want a set of those headlights! No the original air cleaners are long gone. But I have seen them for sale....

Ray, I was thinking of the whole Karma thing.

John

John,

Welcome to the old Porsche AND old BMW club!

Is the color Sand Beige? ...you know I have a thing for brown P-cars!

Looks like an exciting trip and opportunity... That's similar to the way my SC droppped into my lap, a deal too good to refuse and a discussion with the wife about my "mid-life crisis"...

Now get ready for Porsche parts prices...

Man I love the lines of an early 911/912...

Give me a call when you make it to Wichita again.

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

John,

She is a beauty. The 912 is on my bucket list of autos to own...

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Too tired and in my hotel bed. I'll update tomorrow. I did get a new sending unit gasket and richer jets for the carbs.

The Chicago contingent kicks ass!

John