Nose job

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm renewing my '73. Should I strip down the old nose, weld up new stuff where it counts, rustproof and go, or should I just bite the bullet and replace the entire nose? I've been told there is BIG variabilaty between the fit of the replacement noses now on the market, and the original dimensions of the car. I'm told it takes a great bodyman (not I) to get them to fit properly. Anyone have experience with rhinoplasy on a '72 or '73? Tips and kinks?

Guest Anonymous

A nose job can be done on your own with the right tools. Rob, Seth and El did Seths nose replacement and there is an article about it. I would go with replaceing the nose in MOST rust issues. if the rust is not through rust then repair what you have. A used early nose can be had for 250-350 depending on where you live and shiping. NEW noses are 500+. Later noses are cheaper but why put big bumpers on an early car. There is no problem with ligning up the new nose aslong as the old one was removed properly. I may be gaining access to some good USED early noses with my new job hopefully starting next week. Let me know if I should check one out for you.

Specal tools required for nose instalation and removal.

Welder, grinder, sawzall, a friend or two, por 15, paint gun, garage is best, & understanding wife or GF

Sam Schultz

NC

Guest Anonymous

Yes. There were some issues fitting the grill There are some differences in the stampings of the new noses when compared to the original. This not only caused alignment problems with the vendors, but also made fitting the grill a challenge. Matt McGinn did mine.

Guess it all depends on what you want from the finished product, the condition of the current nose, and availability/price for replacements.