flywhel /clutch interchangeability?read this one..I dont sou

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey all-

I just installed a new used 2 liter motor out of a 69 02 into my 68 1602 last week and i have a feeling that the clutch is pretty worn down. I wanted to change to a newer style pressure plate as the one that bolted up to the six bolt flywheel looked bohemith and primitive. I tried the new pressure plate that I had but, the holes for the bolts didnt match up so i couldnt mix and match. The clutch is 228 mm and I am still using the mechanical clutch. I am thinking of going with a hydraulic setup. The master cylinder is dual circuit, but the necessary ports are plugged off to keep it to single line brakes and a mech. clutch. Is there a pressure plate that will bolt up to this early flyweel or do I have any other options???Am I just spinning my wheels here???

Also...is anybody parting out an o2 that would be willing to get rid of all the neccessary hydraulic components(front and rear brakes,hubs,pedal box, etc.) for relatively cheap????-Thanks in advance :David Furey

Guest Anonymous

to the crank (later ones have eight(. The pressure plate, crank and flywheel are all different from later years (things changed again ~'74 with the smaller flywheel). You can take the flywheel off and have a machine shop drill and tap holes for the more modern pressure plate. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with what you've got.

I wouldn't bother with changing the mechanical for hydraulic clutch. The pedal pressure isn't all that stiff even with the more modern pressure plate. I would suggest you go to the later style front brakes, you should be able to find a kind soul that is going to the Volvo 'big brakes' and will make you a good price on a use set of calipers. If you have the modern master cylinder, and single line front brakes, someone has gone to some trouble to change out the old pedal box (old brake masters used to connect to the pedal box) and put in a new booster. Take advantage of the improved braking system and upgrade.

Cheers!

John N.